Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JTopCat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 26

Re: Google Nest WiFi, Double NAT and woe

@sjd201 

I agree - I'm extremely surprised that Google don't seem to have considered the way that the vast majority of users in the UK have their home networks configured (combined modem/router supplied by ISP which cannot be configured in bridge mode).

You're braver than me in continuing to persevere with the Nest system! I'd be interested to hear how you get on, but it sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through. I'm a total home networking novice and fear that even if I were able to get such a setup working, as soon as someone pushes an update (either BT, Google or the switch manufacturer) I'd be completely out of my depth fault-finding if something went wrong.

I'm slightly confused about how the BT WHW system should be any different though. BT state that the system is compatible with any ISP in the UK, but how do they avoid the same double NAT issue if I was to plug it into a combo modem/router from another ISP? I've tried looking for this issue online, but searches for 'BT Whole Home WiFi double NAT' just end up returning pages like this one where people are trying to use aftermarket routers (Apple AirPort or Google Nest) with their BT HomeHub and coming unstuck.

However, I'd hope that if I did go ahead with the WHW and then ran into trouble, BT should be able to help me work through things given that they supply the broadband service, the SmartHub and the WHW discs. With the Google system, I'm left with both sides pointing fingers at the other, which doesn't help me stuck in the middle!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 26

@JTopCat wrote:

@sjd201 

I, BT should be able to help me work through things given that they supply the broadband service, the SmartHub and the WHW discs. With the Google system, I'm left with both sides pointing fingers at the other, which doesn't help me stuck in the middle!

Do not get confused with what BT supply as a package. There is the BT Complete Wifi solution which used the Smart Hub 2, and black add on discs. This is rented as a single produce for BT Broadband customers only.

Then there is the retail Whole Home system using the white discs which you buy yourself, and is for all ISPs. Support is via the product helpdesk, and on the BT Devices board on this forum.

That mesh system operates as a number of access points, and is on the same IP subnet as the router, so double NAT does not occur.

Another system worth considering, which can also operate in access mode, is the Tenda MW3, that is what I use as it was much cheaper than the BT system, although I think there is a special offer on the BT ones at the moment.

sjd201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 26

Gave up guys

Ran into an issue with Netgear Switch and their Insight service and its taken until now to resolve.  That was painful in itself but family were going mad with interruption to internet connection.

In the interim reverted back to my BT Hub and took Nest Wifi out the equation.  Its still connected and does work for connected devices like laptops but ipads and mobile devices kept losing internet connection for all the reasons we are aware.  I spoke to someone I know who is a network engineer to ask about setting up VLAN tagging on the switch and he said why on earth would anyone want VLAN tagging in their house!!  In the end that's where I stopped as despite plenty of Googling I could not work out how to set up the switch correctly.

Sorry but I have to say that I am astonished Google are getting away with selling this product which needs to be plug and play. I don't know many people who would have done 5% of the work I did to get absolutely nowhere!!

If I go mesh again I will go with BT Whole Home as I will only have to deal with support from BT rather than 3 different companies.  Ultimately that is where it got really difficult.

Good luck and thanks for all your inputs

0 Ratings
JTopCat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 26

I finally bit the bullet and bought the BT Whole Home Wifi triple pack from an auction site (£95). I'll let you know how I get on, but fingers crossed this will solve my WiFi woes!

0 Ratings
JTopCat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 26

Plugged in the Whole Home WiFi - everything just works perfectly. Ditch the Google system; it's not designed to work properly with the set up most people have.

0 Ratings
sjd201
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 26

Glad to hear.  After reading this post I will do down this route as well.  Thanks for the update

Simon

0 Ratings