cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TTW
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Google Wi-fi into home hub 6

Hi, I hope someone can help!  I’ve had my google Wi-fi plugged into my my home hub 6 (fttp connection) but the home hub produces an IP address and so does the google Wi-fi so this is creating an unstable Wi-fi connection (as two competing IP addresses). How do i rectify this? Can I do away with the home hub and essentially connect the google Wi-fi directly via Ethernet cable to the fibre connection? Or do I need to by a separate bridge only modem to replace the home hub first?? Thanks ... !

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Google Wi-fi into home hub 6

Google wifi has its own router so you don't need the hub. Connect it directly to the ONT (which is a modem).

0 Ratings
TTW
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thank you! Now I’ve connected the google Wi-fi to the ONT it’s asking me to select:

DHCP

Static IP

PPPoE

which option is it? I tried PPPoE

and then called bt to get username and password which is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password is BT .. but this gives an error message .. is this the right option? Or do I select DHCP? Thanks again .. 😉

0 Ratings
TTW
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

• Hi, I’ve connected my google Wi-fi directly to the ONT but the ONT also produces an IP address? Which is strange as I thought the ONT was a modem .. how do I remove this IP address so it doesn’t interfere with the google Wi-fi one? Should it still be in PPPoE setting or something else?

Any advice greatly appreciated! Thx

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

PPPoE and the username and password you have been given are the correct options.

0 Ratings
TTW
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Thanks. I’ve put them in but ONT still generating an IP address. Anyway of preventing this? Thanks again !

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

The ONT can't generate an IP address, it's a modem. The Google WiFi will be generating the addresses

0 Ratings