cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stujol
Message 1 of 7

Google WiFi

Go to solution

Hi, does anyone have any expereince with using Google WiFi with a BT infinity 2 package? i have just renewed my contract so BT are sending me a new BT smart hub. Ive also purchased 2 Google WiFi units. Hopefully will get both this week sometime.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Google WiFi

Go to solution

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Google-WiFi-and-BT-Home-Hub-5/td-p/1741606

You might be better off leaving the hub in its box and getting a modem instead.

0 Ratings
sledge1
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I bought an Open Reach Modem (BT Openreach ECI Fibre Optic Modem Router Type 1B VDSL FTTC), to deal with this issue. But I amstill having connectivity issues. The DSL light on the OpenReach modem lights up solid, so I am assuming it gets connectivity but then the Google Wifi does not seem to get connected. Do I need to make any changes to the Google setup, for examplke moving from DCHP to PPPOE? any ideas? I also tried an ethernet cable from my laptop into the Openreach modem to see if it had internet connectivity and it did not get me online? So maybe when the OpenReach DSL light shines up it is not really connected? Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

The DSL modem just connects at the physical layer. You need to configure Google wifi router to connect at the higher layers. No idea whether there is a setup wizard or if you need to make the settings manually, but these are the various settings you will require.

PPPoE

VLAN id 101

Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password BT

0 Ratings
sledge1
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you so much for replying so quickly. It turns out the Google default it DCHP I changed it to PPPOE and it connected very quickly. The trick will be to see how stable it is.

0 Ratings
sledge1
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Liquorice, or perhaps other community members, I have a quick question. Is there a limit the the speed that the Openreach ECI modem can transmit? It is just a question out of interest, I am getting roughly the same speed that I had with my smarthub (circa 60 mpbs), but I was wondering given the age of manufacture of the Openreach modem whether there is a limitation. I'm wondering if the infrastructure leading to my house was improved is there a possibility my Openreach modem would limit the benefit of any improvement on the infrastrufture side?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Not really, the limiting factor of any broadband connection is distance from the cabinet. Different chipsets can make a slight difference, but only slight. The age of the modem is not really a factor.

0 Ratings