cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Google Wifi and BT Hub

I’m having constant network issues since moving to BT from Sky. I’m using Google Wifi as my primary network, and had disabled the wifi and DHCP on the BT hub (the same setup as I had with Sky).

The problem with this is that the NowTV channels won’t work at all. Despite Google Wifi supporting multicast, it threw up an error when connected via an unmanaged Netgear switch to Google Wifi. This is how I had SkyQ set up, without issue.

Specifying a static IP on BT TV and connecting a cable to the switch (rather than going through Google’s ethernet port) brought the NowTV channels back. 

The problem is the Google Wifi is unstable. Connections to websites time out, but switching the wifi off and back on on the affected device (iPhones and MacBooks) will make it work.

It seemed like DHCP/DNS, butI’ve tried changing everything I can think of without success. Changing DNS to BT, back to Google, changing the static IP Google Wifi is on, address reservation on Google Wifi, removing all address reservation, running two DHCP servers (BT and Google), running only a Google DHCP server, etc.

I’ve also had to re-enable wifi on the BT Hub as my work VPN (Forticlient) can’t keep a connection when connected to Google Wifi with my work laptop.

I’ve tried every configuration I can with little success. Could the hub be defective? I've tried to find an email address or contact form for BT but no luck.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Google Wifi and BT Hub

Is there a support email address I can contact BT on? Or is it just live chat and phone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

@fuzzylogic wrote:

Is there a support email address I can contact BT on? Or is it just live chat and phone?

This user forum is the main support route, unless you have an issue with your broadband connection, which cannot be resolved via this forum.

There is no email address for BT, and they cannot help with third party products.

If everything works when connected directly to the BT Home hub, then that is as far as support would go.

You would be best waiting to see if anyone on this forum is using a similar setup.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

I'd just like them to tell me why it worked fine with Sky's router but not theirs, at least I'd know if there's some technical incompatibility that can't be resolved. Surely they have a  knowledgebase or known fixes database that mentions Google Wifi at some point. If I'm their only customer that's ever raised an issue with it, that suggest either Google or their hardware is defective in some way. I've tried everything I can think of, I need some ideas.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

The only difference between Sky and BT routers, is that they use different IP subnets, so its possible that something on your network has been manually configured for Sky.

You might try a forum search.

Here is one thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Google-Wi-fi-into-home-hub-6/m-p/1950096#M16421...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Still getting internet dropouts regularly on all devices. Contacted BT Twitter's support and they're sending a new router. I really hope that's it, genuinely baffled as to why the Hub is so much trouble with Google Wifi. I've even had one of our network techs from work take a look.

0 Ratings