cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Google Wifi with Openreach fibre broadband

Go to solution

I can see this has been mentioned before but the solutions don’t seem to help me.

So I've had FTTP installed today and I've tried to connect my Google wifi router to the openreach modem but the router flashes orange and won't connect. I reached out to google support and they told me it's an issue with the openreach modem firewall and the it's not allowing google wifi to obtain an IP address and I need to contact BT about it (or something along those lines). 

BT have said I need to call up their fibre team but doubt they can help as it's a 3rd party device. 

I've seen people have been successful changing to PPPOE but I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone talk me through this please? Or a method that allows me to use GWifi without the smart hub? 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Google Wifi with Openreach fibre broadband

Go to solution

You need to use the username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password of BT if needed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Google are telling you total nonsense. Just set the connection type as PPPoE with username and password as posted by @@imjolly 

Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me. So just to confirm, this will enable me to plug the Google wifi router straight into the fibre modem? 

Also, when you say password of BT is this the password I would use to log into the BT APP/account or password of the BT router? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

The password is just BT, not your account details.

Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

The username and password are the generic PPPoE credentials used for all BT broadband connections.

There is no BT router if you connect the Google router directly to the ONT.

When you configure the Google WiFi, I suspect it will have an option for connection type, select PPPoE and enter the credentials.

This might help

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6246630?hl=en-GB

Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Would using PPPoe slow my speeds down? I'm paying for the 900mb/s service but I only receive around 500mb/s on average. I understand it's not guaranteed at 900 mb/s but I've never seen it above 800 mb/s and rarely is it above 600mb/s.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

As PPPoE is the protocol BT use for connection to their BRAS, you don't get a choice.

Don't forget FTTP is a heavily contended service.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply. I do have a choice if I ditch the Google Wifi, don't I? Would PPPoe cause slower speeds though? What do you mean by ' FTTP is a heavily contended service'?
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

No, of course you don't have choice. PPPoE is a protocol every router uses to connect to BT broadband.

0 Ratings