Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwaker5
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Google classroom and BT parental controls problem

Go to solution

My children are at home using Google classroom.  We can't access the files that have been uploaded by the teachers unless I switch off BT parental controls.  This is really annoying and seems unnecessary.  Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
JohnC2
Message 2 of 9

Re: Google classroom and BT parental controls problem

Go to solution

Hi @kwaker5 check out the Allowing Blocked Websites section on Parental Controls and see if that helps. 

cheers

John

0 Ratings
kwaker5
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks but the URL varies for every piece of work and is completely random so it's not an option.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@kwaker5 wrote:

Thanks but the URL varies for every piece of work and is completely random so it's not an option.

I do not use BT Parental controls, however most of them rely purely on the actual web domain, as determined by DNS, so that if the main domain name is the same, then you can make an exception to that, instead of an individual url. Look at the bit just after the http or https.

Try adding https://edu.google.com

The other option would be to temporarily disable it for the period of time that the school work is being completed.

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 5 of 9

Hi @kwalker, This issue, within Parental Controls, may ha...

Go to solution

Hi @kwalker,

This issue, within Parental Controls, may have been caused by the use of drive.google.com domain ​​​​​​in GSuite.

That link will be blocked for "File Sharing" under out strict filter settings. You can edit your strict settings to remove file sharing.

Let me know how you get on, please.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
shibes
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

BT Parent Controls will need to be edited, simply uncheck "File Sharing" under the list of Options, as follows:
Broadband security/BT Parental Controls/Manage/Your parental controls filter/Change/File sharing (uncheck)/Save

0 Ratings
kwaker5
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks, the on/off thing is what I have resorted to in the past but will try unchecking the file sharing option suggested by 2 other contributors.
0 Ratings
kwaker5
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your help.  Removing (unticking) the File Sharing option from the custom settings in Parental Controls worked.  I have also fed this back to my son's school in case anyone else is having trouble.

talldave
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

We had a similar problem which was very annoying with the kids doing schoolwork. Thanks for all the threads here which helped solve it. I had to do the following:

Your security at top of screen

BT parental controls

Turn these on

Allowed and blocked websites

Insert into the allowed websites: docs.google.com

Save 

Hopefully this will work. 

0 Ratings