Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaunburrell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Google pixel 2 connects and disconnects

Go to solution

I have recently just set my new bt internet home hub up and all my devices are connecting apart from my Google pixel 2 phone.

The phone repeatedly just connects and disconnects, last nite when trying to connect my phone my device was saying there was an ip address error.

It also spends a lot of time obtaining the ip address when trying to connect.

Pretty much the same today when I came home from work it just keeps connecting and disconnecting.

It's pretty stressful as I need to have Wi-Fi calling activated on my phone as the EE signal in my area is poor.

I was hoping someone would maybe have experiance or a solution for this.

I have connected my phone to other bt hubs in family members homes and seems to be working fine.

Any help would be much appreciated 

Regards

Shaun

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Google pixel 2 connects and disconnects

Go to solution
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
Shaunburrell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Ok thank you, I have turned smart setup off but when I go to turn the wireless off it tells me I will loose connection on my wireless devices, 

Is this correct as I am not very good with this kind of stuff?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Don't switch off the wireless, switch off smart wireless, split the bands as per the link I posted and select the wireless channels manually. When you split the bands, the network name of the 5G signal will change so you will have to re-connect.

Shaunburrell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Ok thank you again, I have switched off smart setup , split the band's but can't seem to find smart wireless so I can then switch that off? Do you have a link that demonstrates this? 

I am now getting 2 network signals, my normal network and another with the same name but with a number 5 at the end, I tired connecting to the one with the 5 at the end but doesn't seem to connect,

I am however connected to my normal network which seems to be working fine just now.

Sorry for all the questions as I am really inexperienced at this stuff, but really wan to get this sorted

Regards 

Shaun

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@Shaunburrell wrote:

Ok thank you again, I have switched off smart setup , split the band's but can't seem to find smart wireless so I can then switch that off? Do you have a link that demonstrates this?  It's in the advanced wireless section under channels. You can either select smart or a channel number manually. Don't worry too much about it if you don't want to experiment with different channels.

I am now getting 2 network signals, my normal network and another with the same name but with a number 5 at the end, I tired connecting to the one with the 5 at the end but doesn't seem to connect,

Correct, as you have now given the 2 wireless bands different names rather than the same name . The one with the 5 at the end is the 5Ghz signal. Perhaps your device doesn't have 5Ghz capability.

I am however connected to my normal network which seems to be working fine just now.

Good

Sorry for all the questions as I am really inexperienced at this stuff, but really wan to get this sorted

Regards 

Shaun

Shaunburrell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

20180821_202853.pngI am in advanced wireless section, how do I turn smart wireless off?

My phone seems to be working fine ever since I split the bands, why is this and what does it do to make the phone connect properly And will it effect the signal strength ?

Than you for the help, very much appreciated 

Regards 

Shaun

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@Shaunburrell wrote:

20180821_202853.pngI am in advanced wireless section, how do I turn smart wireless off?

You already have in the 2.4Ghz section by manully selecting channel 11 in the drop down list, you can do the same in the 5Ghz section by clicking on the 'Smart Channel36' box and selecting a different channel and saving changes.

My phone seems to be working fine ever since I split the bands, why is this and what does it do to make the phone connect properly And will it effect the signal strength ?

Many devices don't like having the same network name for both wireless bands, but BT in their infinite wisdom seem to insist the default setting is the same name (SSID), nobody else does that!! It won't have any effect on signal strength, the signal hasn't changed, just the label by which it is known.

Than you for the help, very much appreciated 

Regards 

Shaun

Shaunburrell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Ok thank you again for the help

0 Ratings