Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
duffy502
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Google wifi

As I've had enough of my unsmart hub, I am looking at alternatives that work with BT UHD TV.

i was planning on getting a Google wifi setup, but folk seem to have issues with this although Google say if parental controls and be protect  are off it will work. There's not much to be found on this forum on this, has anyone got it working?

or tried a TP Link Archer v900v2 ?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
abp79
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Google wifi

Have you had the smart hub replaced as faulty? I had one sent to me in March on recontracting and it kept going slow, took ages to start up and was basically awful. The replacement hub so far has been flawless, both with the bttv and particularly the WiFi which is much improved upstairs. Might be worth a try if you haven't had the original replaced.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 15

the connected devices subforum has some discussions that ight be useful eg

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/TP-LINK-Archer-VR900-or-BT-HH6/m-p/1717932/highl...

0 Ratings
trapdoor
Expert
Message 4 of 15

@duffy502 wrote:

As I've had enough of my unsmart hub, I am looking at alternatives that work with BT UHD TV.

i was planning on getting a Google wifi setup, but folk seem to have issues with this although Google say if parental controls and be protect  are off it will work. There's not much to be found on this forum on this, has anyone got it working?

or tried a TP Link Archer v900v2 ?

I use a TP-Link Archer VR900 but mine is a v1 and I'm still on the factory firmware, only because I had to use this for Vision+ and never bothered to update it when I upgraded to YV. The VR900 is massively more reliable than the 'smart-hub' which caused no end of issues with me.

i have a fairly complex home network with lots of home automation on Wifi (things like Hive, Nest Alarms, alarm system, CCTV, LED lighting) plus a fair bit of home entertainment on LAN (everything from Sony High Def audio system to DVD home cinema and TV's) plus the usual iPads, iPhones PC's and printers ... the VR900 handles them all happily, wifi is acceptable range-wise.

I'd never go back to using a BT hub now. Not worth all the angst.

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 5 of 15

My Home Hub 3 in the last 4 or 5 months has been plying up once in a while with wi-fi even though it say all conected and Hub 3 says all fine.

Have found BT customer service to be at times less than helpfull with the mater. Even though I have told thim they only seem to temporary fix the problem at times. I think the Home Hub 3 maybe starting to play up with the wi-fi for never had this problem with wi-fi a year or so ago.

Darren

0 Ratings
duffy502
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

I have bought the Archer router, which I am planning on turning off the wifi so the BT box connects using ethernet which I am hoping means UHD TV works, than getting the google wifi for, well, wifi.

Or am I missinmg something.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

@duffy502 wrote:

I have bought the Archer router, which I am planning on turning off the wifi so the BT box connects using ethernet .

Connecting via Ethernet is not dependant on turning off wifi.

0 Ratings
duffy502
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

I do not understand that?

If the router is handling the wired network, and google only the wifi, my plan should work, no?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Yes, but you implied that in order to connect to your TV via Ethernet you need to turn off wifi on the Archer. The router can handle both.

0 Ratings
duffy502
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Oh I see the confusion sorry.

No I want to replace the rubbish smart hub, get the archer as many good things said about it working great with BT and replace my repeaters with Google Wifi, as its great apparently but does not play well with BT on its own due to multicasting issues.

0 Ratings