cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Diane30
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

HELP! Antivirus Antispyware 2011

This isn't strictly to do with broadband but I'm  not sure where else to go or if anyone on here can suggest anything.

A couple of days ago, the above ****** stuff appeared on my computer and I can't get rid of it no matter what I do.  It pops up whenever I start the computer, whenever I try and do anything, it blanks my screen and then I have to go through two or three messages to get rid of it (temporarily until the next time it starts - usually only a matter of minutes) before I can carry on with what I was doing.

It's almost like a virus but is actually trying to flog me the Antivirus package and is very very persistent.  (I already have up-to-date McAfee protection on my computer).

It's actually getting to the "threat" stage now by informing me that the police will sue me for anti-spamming crimes if I don't install it (and pay for it!) immediately.

Does anybody out there have any ideas on how I can get rid or am I doomed?  I've tried removing it via Control Panel (it won't let me) and by getting their "uninstall" key which didn't work.

Help help help!

Thanks.

Diane

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Loxx
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: HELP! Antivirus Antispyware 2011

Download and install the following:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Malwarebytes-AntiMalware/1186760019/1

Restart the computer, pressing F8 and selecting Safe Mode open above program and perform scan, clean results of malicious files

Restart computer and allow to load normally
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

Hi Diane and welcome

As you've discovered this piece of 'unwanted product' is a rogue security programSmiley Mad

Use this - http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5756 (look for the download links)

It'll get rid of it!!Smiley Happy

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Loxx
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

lol DS great minds etc

FakeAV variants are a pain in the ..
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

@Loxx wrote:
lol DS great minds etc
AyeSmiley Very Happy
FakeAV variants are a pain in the ..
.. botty!!Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Diane30
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Hi

Thanks to everybody who took the time to reply to my plea!

I am now free from the *(!&*:#~ * virus!

Regards.

Diane

Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Hi Diane

That's good to hearSmiley Happy

You can always run malwarebytes anytime you want to, just in case...

(I tend to run it at least once a week and it doesn't affect BTNP (BT's AV) at all).

0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

@DS wrote:

You can always run malwarebytes anytime you want to, just in case...

(I tend to run it at least once a week and it doesn't affect BTNP (BT's AV) at all).

Me too. But I'm surprised that malwarebytes doesn't flag up Net Protect as malware - it's certainly a CPU hog! ;-)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

@minusdot wrote:

Me too. But I'm surprised that malwarebytes doesn't flag up Net Protect as malware - it's certainly a CPU hog! ;-)

Aye, one like to keep ones self clear of poopSmiley Very Happy

Not one to defend BT or it's products and servicesSmiley SurprisedSmiley Wink, but I've found the 2011 version of BTNP to be sufficient for my needs (a few tweaks here n there and it runs with minimal disruption, plus it allows me to log an awful lot of stuff, and updates itself on a regular basis - BT cash bung to the usual address!!Smiley Very Happy). tbh the 2010 was pretty darn good too! - (another tenner on the way?Smiley Tongue)

By no means is it perfect, with the odd bug/glitch (cancel the extra tennerSmiley Surprised), as I'm paying for it as part of my BB package, I'm gonna use it.....Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
AlanR
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I got this pos last week too or something similar! Opened Hotmail and bam there it was. I assume it was embedded in IE. (normally browse with Firefox.) Opened hotmail as usual but was presented with an innocuous pop up that told me something along the lines that java needed to run to view some content...Bit strange, but stupidly, I clicked on the "don't show this again box"! of course in retrospect, I now know that these things are basically one big "YES" button in disguise!

It shut down everything in sight, including of course Malwarebytes am and MSSE. I tried numerous boots into safe mode (awkward with my mother board bios), during one of which I rebooted just before the evil virus started up and suddenly it was gone!

Finally succeeded getting into safe mode and ran all the normal AV and malware killers etc and not a trace anywhere!! Most strange. The only sign that it left (or didn't leave) was it completely emptied the history (Quarantine vault) of my MSSE, presumably to cover its tracks.

Very nasty and very clever!...Scary thing is I haven't got a clue where it came from or indeed went!!

0 Ratings