Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
minch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

HELP HH6 blue light but no internet

Go to solution

Hi

This is an email of desperation! Next step is a 3rd party replacement to HH6, then contract buyout and off elsewhere to get BB.

The problem is my HH6 has a blue light, but nothing can connect to the internet (4x W10 PC, 1 x OSX MBP, 2 x Xbox, 4 x smart TV, too many ios phones and the BT vision box). BT customer help can handshake the hub remotely, so have washed their hands of the problem (no call backs for me). This lack of connection is wired and wireless (currently I'm tethered to my phone!). BT are saying that all our devices have a problem (despite the fact that they will tether to 4G and work as normal), this seems ridiculous.

Our set up is the the hub creates a wifi network, which is then extended in a roaming manner by an apple time capsule and two airport expresses. These and smart TVs/xboxes are connected via a cat5 network, which is connected to the HH6 by an ethernet switch. 

I've replaced the adsl microfilter, replaced the adsl lead, connected directly to the test socket all with no change. Our phone line is fine. All HH6 settings are as it arrived, the network SSID and password are mirrored by the apple stuff, with auto channel selection. All apple stuff is in bridge mode with ipv6 disabled. The only time I can connect to the internet is if I completely isolate the HH6, and do a factory reset, and then when I connect directly (wired and wifi) I can connect to the internet for a period of time before it stops again.

I am at a loss as to where to go next. BT help says our internet is fine, despite the HH5 having this same problem, and will not help any further, just say get a computer tech to check our stuff. I can only think that the HH6 has some sort of conflict with the ethernet switch or appple stuff? It needs to work with this to be of any use to our network structure, so if it can't, then I'll buy a 3rd party one and send the HH6 back to BT.

Any thoughts as I'm also tempted to cancel the contract, take the cost just to be done with this company.

All help greatly received

Richard

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: HELP HH6 blue light but no internet

Go to solution

Buy a decent third party VDSL Modem/router. They start in price at about £35.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

Buy a decent third party VDSL Modem/router. They start in price at about £35.

I agree, it does sound like a common issue with the home hubs, especially with all those network devices, I expect the ARP/DHCP table is filling up with too many entries.

I would be inclined to try what @gg30340 has suggested, as you can use that router on any ISP, should you need to in the future. Look at the TP Link TD-W9970, as I know from experience that it has no issues with multiple network devices. I use one myself, and I replaced my daughter`s HH6 with one, as her family had exactly the same problem with connectivity.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

if the hh6 is as it arrived then I would try turn of smart setup and then split the 2.4/5ghz networks and selecty the channels manually  try a wifi analyser on your phone to see the channels currently in use by neighbours and then choose another channel  you can also try changing the wireless mode from 1 to either 2 or 3

if after trying these changes you still find problems then go for cheap 3rd party 1 band router suggested by @gg30340

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
minch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

ONGOING SAGA

I have bought the TP Link router TD-W9970, it correctly identifies and connects to BT DSL. BUT I get about 30s of internet and then the same problem as per HH6 - says its connected, but no internet access. It is disconnected from the entire network, in fact every network item is powered off. The burglar alarm is disconnected from the master socket, the phone line works. I bought a new ADSL cable, and used a new microfilter. I have tried with two computers (W10 and OSX), both have had all networks deleted from their memory, problem is the same with both and with wired/wireless connection. If I reset either router (TD or HH6) I get about 30s of internet and then nothing. I've tried following the BT business advice and inputting an ip address directly into the address bar, I've tried manually inputting DNS servers, but all to no change. 

I cannot believe this is a hardware issue at my end, but that is all the help that BT customer service can give. I really can't call them again as it is pointless, they gave me a fault code which BT online doesn't recognise. I now don't know where to ask for help. I'll try @BTcare on twitter, but any help would be greatly received.

In my simple mind it can only be a BT problem with recognition of my details and my BT account, but what do I know!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

@minch wrote:

ONGOING SAGA

I've tried following the BT business advice and inputting an ip address directly into the address bar, I've tried manually inputting DNS servers, but all to no change. 

You did not say you were a BT Business customer, is that the case?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

have you tried just connecting the hub to master socket with nothing else connected and see if that works.  if internet works then problem with additions but if still problem then that is probably line and needs engineer

if business user you need to post here  https://business.forums.bt.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

The configuration for BT Business is totally different, as they use static IP adresses. You would need to post on the business forum, as this is the residential forum, and any advice given here, would not apply to a BT Business connection.

I suspect that its probably an authentication issue, perhaps login related, as each user login is different, unlike BT Retail who authenticate on the phone number, as that is unique.

0 Ratings
minch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Not a business user,  just slightly desparate for any help and BT home website is not that.

Both TD and HH6 routers are plugged into master socket, nothing else is. Addition/removal of phone to microfilter makes no difference, similarly with the hardwired burglar alarm.

Summoning patience to call BT again 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

@minch wrote:

Not a business user,  just slightly desparate for any help and BT home website is not that.

Both TD and HH6 routers are plugged into master socket, nothing else is. Addition/removal of phone to microfilter makes no difference, similarly with the hardwired burglar alarm.

Summoning patience to call BT again 

This may be a faulty port then, This will have to be passed to a moderator for a closer look. I have asked for help, as that is probably the best course of action.

To avoid a possible charge, you need to make sure that you connect a computer directly to an Ethernet port on the home hub, with no other devices, including wireless devices, connected to the home hub. This will eliminate the possibility of any other device acting as a DHCP server, and supplying the wrong configuration.

If you still get the same issue, with that single device connected, then its a BT network problem. If its fine, then there is a device on your complex network causing the problem.

0 Ratings