Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
minch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: HELP HH6 blue light but no internet

Go to solution

Update - with just left the TD router attached to one computer for 30mins and I have stable wireless and wired internet access. Will now replace network switch (as it has old and has no UI) as this could be origin of DHCP conflict. It worked perfectly for years (HH3, then HH5 until firmware update), but not with the HH6.

If it all works with new ethernet switches, then I'll stick to the TD router as it is more user friendly without worry of forced firmware updates.

So progress, with avoidance of BT customer help!

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @minch sorry you are having a problem with your internet connection. 

As suggested by @Keith_Beddoe  above please try check to ensure it's a network issue and once you have done this send us over your details and we will be happy to help you. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

I did suspect a local network related issue, especially with the timeout issue. You have probably saved yourself a £130 visit charge Smiley Happy

The TP link router is a bit more user friendly, and does offer a lot of extra options like QOS and configurable firewall, which I covered on my website pages.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/TP_link/w9970/TP%20Link%20W9970.html

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

now you have a stable connection with simple pc conencted to router connected to master the problem is obviously in your setup and one or more of your devices causing the problem   don't think engineer required

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
minch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

So the solution was to bin the HH6 and switch to the TPLink router, with this in place I have a stable broadband connection and a working home wireless and wired network, and bridge. I tried replacing the HH6 and the same problem recurred, so it appears as if the HH6 does not work with large ethernet switches!

Thanks for the invaluable help from this forum, please could a moderator update the BT helpline with the possibility that the supplied hardware may not be compatible with complex home networks; or at least get them to advise posting on this forum!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

The TP Link TD-W9970 is a really stable router, and I have not found any issues at home here, with a couple of network switches, and quite a few devices.

There are a number of users next door using the the isolated wireless guest network, with all Apple devices, again with no issues at all.

There is one at my daughter`s house, and that has 32 different devices connected including BT YouView, Apple devices, Phillips HUE, Google Minis, NowTv boxes game consoles, all with no issues. It replaced a HH6 which was continually disconnecting or giving no Internet access.

I have been keeping an eye on the performance using the remote management feature.

Here is a quick grab of the current stats. Note uptime of 31 days.

Basic Status

Device Information

Firmware Version:0.9.1 0.2 v0076.0 Build 170919 Rel.61201n

Hardware Version:TD-W9970 v2 00000000

System Up Time:31 day(s) 06:58:49

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:VDSL2

Annex Type:Annex A/L

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 6011 39979
Max Rate (Kbps) 6011 40298
SNR Margin (dB) 6.2 2.8
Line Attenuation (dB) 40.2 18.1
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
0 Ratings
minch
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

Keith,

Can't thank you enough for the advice, you have literally transformed our entire home with your advice to get the TP TD-W9970 router. We now have a stable connection with meaningful speed. I've never had a connection time longer than 9 hours, so to see over 10 days is amazing! I can even complete a BT broadband speed check, where previously it just timed out. My wife works at home and would just tether to 4G, now she has no need to. All our Xboxs, YouView, smart TVs now stream without buffering/low quality or just plain saying no! 

So for a HH6 which continually disconnects or has no internet access despite showing a connection and being remotely handshakable by BT, changing your router is THE solution!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

I am pleased you are now sorted.

For anyone else wanting to give the router a try, there is full information on my forumhelp website.

0 Ratings
catherhu
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

Hi all

Apologies for needing it spelt out....I am having the exact same problem with my HH6. Do I simply unplug this and plug in the TP Link TD-W9970 instead, into the large white socket box?

Many thanks in advance

Catherhu

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

@catherhu wrote:

Hi all

Apologies for needing it spelt out....I am having the exact same problem with my HH6. Do I simply unplug this and plug in the TP Link TD-W9970 instead, into the large white socket box?

Many thanks in advance

Catherhu

Yes, it plugs into your phone socket, in the same place as the HH6. You then need to connect a computer to an Ethernet port on the router, and configure it as described on this link.

Configuration settings for BT Broadband

0 Ratings