Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 38

HG612 & Netgear Nighthawk R6000

Hi Community 

I'm a BT Home hub 5 user in the UK with an ADSL connection to my house (no fibre). 

Due to the ever increasing number of smart devices in my house I thought I'd replace the BT supplied HH5 with Netgear Nighthawk X6 (R8000) combined with an Openreach HG612 modem which I bought from an auction site that's been unlocked in bridge mode (port 1 for connecting to router and port 2 for administration with ip set to 192.168.1.1)

The problem I'm having is that despite setting the router to PPPOE with username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com and everything else as default the router cannot connect to the Internet. 

The DSL light is light up on the HG612 along with power light and LAN1 light (router plugged in here) 

I've been through various posts here but cannot resolve this issue. 

My laptop is plugged into the router and I can access the admin page of the router. 

Also for info, if I plug my laptop into LAN2 of the HG612 and set the ip on my laptop to 192.168.1.100 I can access the admin pages on the HG612

Can anyone help please? 

Thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 38

Re: HG612 & Netgear Nighthawk R6000

Don't know if there is a setting for it on the Netgear, but if there is, VLAN id should be 101

Ignore that, with ADSL the Netgear needs to be set to PPPoA with VPI/VCI 0/38 not PPPoE.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 38

Hi licquorice

From the Internet setup page of the router, when I state it needs a login, the only options it gives me are PPTP, PPPoE or L2TP

PPPoA is not listed as an option. 

Does that mean I've bought the wrong router? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 38

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 38

Hi licquorice

The first post looks how I'm setup with the HG612 set to DSL link type EoA and then Nighthawk set to PPPoE but it's still not working for me. 

Are you able to advise further? 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 38

Might be worth asking the question directly on Kitz.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 38

@hammer1967 

When I used anHG612 as you're doing I didn't set it's IP address to 192.168.1.1 as that's a common address used by routers and might confuse things.  I actually set it to 192.168.1.89 but anything that's not .254 or .1 and not in a DHCP assignment range.

When you log into the HG612 are you seeing sensible connection stats?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 38

Hi Tim

Thanks so much for your reply.

The IP on my original HH5 was set as 192.168.1.254 so I set the same IP on the Netgear router and switched off the HH5 and removed it from the network entirely. IP on HG612 is the default of 192.168.1.1

The DSL light is a "constant illuminated on" on the HG612 so I assume its connected ok - which section on the admin page of the HG612  will tell me if I've "actually" got a connection with data passing up and down?

I thought this was going to be so simple when I read various blogs / sites etc - just get a HG612 and a router and plug them into each other 🙂 

I originally purchased an Openreach ECI but that had no management facilities and only the LAN1 port working - the DSL light never came on when plugged in - so I sent that back to the auction site and replaced it with the Huawei version (mention above) after finding out my street cabinet was also Huawei - trying to squeeze out as much bandwidth as I can!

So I'm desperate to get this working - or to send the Netgear back to Amazon...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 38

@hammer1967 

As the R8000 doesn't offer PPPoA which is what BT's ADSL service uses then I think the R8000 is not suitable. Would be if you had fibre!

Personally I'd look at Asus gear rather than Netgear.

I use an Asus DSL-AC68U which is just a single unit as it's a Modem/Router and still available at around £140. Mine's rock solid and has very good wifi coverage.

If you want to keep using the HG612 then there's the RT-AC68U slightly cheaper.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 38

Thanks Tim

This is just the sort of advice I'm looking for .

But just to double check, when I look at the manual of the RT-AC68U from the ASUS website it states in the WAN connection setup on page 64:

"WAN Connection Type: Choose your Internet Service Provider type. The Choices are Automatic IP, PPPoE, L2TP or fixed IP" - no mention of PPPoA (which if I'm reading you correctly is what I need and is my current problem with the Netgear?)

Also same for the DSL-AC68U on page 20 of the manual the screenshot just shows picking a Country and ISP - no other information at all about any detailed configuration options.

I just want to make sure if I send the Netgear back I get the correct replacement - which would preferably be just a router combined with the HG612

Are you able to clarify further?

Thanks in advance...

0 Ratings