cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dalavich
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

HH 5 won't connect to Windows 10 after heavy usage

I have Windows 10 running on wifi to a HH 5.

Every week I do a full back up of my 2 laptops to it.

However sometimes the wifi will disconnect from the Windows 10 pc and won't reconnect. It knows it's there and connects as far as the wifi passcode code it concerned, but fails to actually complete the connection.

I tried everything from deleting wifi profiles on the PC, reinstalling the drivers, new network USB dongle, checking Windows updates, never did it occur to me to power cycle the HH as the wifi to the other devices was all still ok!

The only way to restore the connection is to power cycle the HH. So why does the HH5 keep dropping the wifi connection and won't allow it to reconnect during heavy workloads?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Checked2013
Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: HH 5 won't connect to Windows 10 after heavy usage

What are you using to backup your data?

0 Ratings
Dalavich
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I used to use Resilio Sync, but swapped to *Syncredible*

in case it was that!

Sometimes I just move the data manually.

Also Dropbox is running on it.

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 4 of 13

Are you using the HomeHub as the backup device? i.e using a USB stick inserted into the HomeHub

If you are to be honest you might be better off getting a NAS device to use as a backup instead of the HomeHub

0 Ratings
Dalavich
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Sorry you lost me?

I run Windows 10 on a desktop PC, which has a large HDD attached to it.

I back up the laptops to this portable HDD, ok I could backup direct to the HDD, but this way I can do both laptops at the same time via the PC and leave them running, sync just does incremental so it's not shifting TB's of data just a few GB's but during the backup at somepoint the windows 10 pc will disconnect itself from the HH and only by power cycling the HH can I restore that connection.

It's not everytime, purely random, but will only happen when I shift large amounts of data. Using Explorer to shift the data can also have the same effect. Not all the time, perhaps once or twice a month.

Everything is connected by wifi 2.4Ghz. No it is not possible to connect via ethernet.

0 Ratings
sjonez
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Depends what you mean by won't complete the connection. Do you still get an IP address?

When you tried a new USB dongle, was it the same model or different?

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 7 of 13

I still think you would be better getting a NAS device and attaching that to the HomeHub via a wired connection.

Wireless networks are not really designed to work the way you are using it currently because it's putting too much stress on the bandwidth

0 Ratings
Dalavich
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

No IP address, just usual 169 address. However even unplugging the USB dongle, replacing it, removing the profiles, fixing the IP address does nothing. The only solution that works is to reboot the HH.

No disrespect to the help but NAS storage is not an option. Please stop suggesting things, you don't know the situation, nor how I use the setup and what for (sometimes I am away from home and use Teamviewer and a cloud to shift data). I want to know what is wrong. I want to know if there's a network setting, HH setting or something I haven't considered. Such as found out that I should be using certain hidden registry settings for heavy usage (ID 2017 in event viewer gave that away).

0 Ratings
Checked2013
Expert
Message 9 of 13

@Dalavich wrote:

No IP address, just usual 169 address. However even unplugging the USB dongle, replacing it, removing the profiles, fixing the IP address does nothing. The only solution that works is to reboot the HH.

No disrespect to the help but NAS storage is not an option. Please stop suggesting things, you don't know the situation, nor how I use the setup and what for (sometimes I am away from home and use Teamviewer and a cloud to shift data). I want to know what is wrong. I want to know if there's a network setting, HH setting or something I haven't considered. Such as found out that I should be using certain hidden registry settings for heavy usage (ID 2017 in event viewer gave that away).

If you don't like the idea of using a NAS device, how about if you upgrade your wifi? As you are currently using the older 2.4ghz wifi and the new 5ghz can give better bandwidth.

Also the reason why I said about a NAS is because it would get around the issue of you using the wifi in ad-hoc mode.

If you do find that the suggestions are not what you are looking for, it might be a good idea to post what exactly your requirements are. I hope you don't find that disrespectful or offensive, but we can only go by what information you post.

0 Ratings
sjonez
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

@Checked2013 wrote:

I still think you would be better getting a NAS device and attaching that to the HomeHub via a wired connection.

Wireless networks are not really designed to work the way you are using it currently because it's putting too much stress on the bandwidth

Not sure I agree. It's no longer 1999 - Home WiFi can reach speeds of up to 1.7 Gbps with the right setup, but regardless a modest 2-disk NAS in RAID 1 will see speeds of 50-70 MB/sec, or 400-560 Mbps. Even if you connect at half that speed you're still seeing reasonable IOPs and not at all "stressing the bandwidth".

The bigger enemy of WiFi is latency, not bandwidth, which will affect the maximum speed TCP can achieve; but regardless transfer rates should be more than adequate for a home user (as I suspect Dalavich is finding, issues aside). Throwing a mere 300-600 MBps at an 802.11ac WiFi router should never cause random disconnects.

To Dalavich - I think this is just a case of the home hub being a bit rubbish, see this thread:

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Wireless-keeps-dropping-when-transferring-fi...

This reads like the exact same issue but back on the HH2. Apparently fixed on the HH3 but perhaps it is back again. On page 2 there appears to be some registry changes you can try but otherwise you might want to try calling the BT helpdesk and seeing if they'll give you a HH6 to (maybe) fix the issue.

0 Ratings