cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

HH manager does not show connected iphone

Probably minor, but very puzzling. Recently signed up for fibre and so now have a HH6. My wife's iphone 6 connects OK. I have split the 2.4/5 bands and in fact the iphone is connected to the 2.4. The iphone says it is connected and shows the internal IP address, today it is 192.168.1.72. But the homehub manager does not show this device at all - neither in the basic 'My Network' page, nor the Advanced settings version of the same, not in the address table (which seems to be for ipv4 only - there doesn't seem to be any equivalent table for ipv6 which the iphone might well be using for all I know), nor anywhere else -  nothing to indicate that 192.168.1.72 is in use.

I have resorted to turning off data on the iphone and then doing web browsing etc, just to verify that the iphone really is using wifi and not using cellular (O2) - it really does seem to be connected.

All other devices, whether wifi (2.4 or 5) or direct connected show up properly.

Obviously I am grateful that we do not (yet) have the problems so many others seem to have encountered getting an iphone to connect, but it's strange that the hub clearly is dealing with the traffic, allowing sign-in etc. but the homehub application doesn't show it. If it doesn't know 192.168.1.72 is in use, how does it avoid reallocating it? If it does know, why doesn't it say so?

Any clues? Should I be concerned?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: HH manager does not show connected iphone

Welcome to the forum.

Unless you begin to experience problems I doubt you should worry too much about it.  Just another Hub 6 'feature' to join the rest of it's little niggles.  Regards the IP address, DHCP on the hubs is known to be a little odd at times but it shouldn't be an issue as a new, different IP should be allocated if the original is in use by another device.  A firmware update may cure the issue(s) the hub has.  These are rolled out automatically by BT and not under user control.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

It could be that, if you have more than one wireless access point (wifi extender for example), that the iphone is connecting into your home network through that, the HH6 isn't to clever at identifying 'proxy connected' devices.

As long as it works, I wouldn't worry

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

No wifi extenders (yet). One desktop is powerline connected, and the hub manager struggles to know that the PC is offline, presumably because the powerline adapters, being always on, fool the hub. Though I don't believe this happened with HH4, so another step backwards there, though not an important one.

Does anybody's iphone show in the devices listing - I mean is it the same for everybody or is it some unfathomable quirk of my router?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

iPhones are registered on my hub all of which belong to friends and family. They access my hub frequently and going by the hub manager, always seem to be allocated the same IP
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

All right, thanks everyone. I'll wait for its mood to change, or the tide to turn or whatever.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

I know this thread has been around for a while, but I have the same problem, also with iPads as well. Sometimes the devices are there, sometimes not, even when I am using the iPad to view the hub manager, it is not showing as connected!  They are not even listed as not connected.

Also, some devices show a D in a blue box in their icon. Anyone know hat this signifies? I am guessing it’s for dual band devices.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Do you have any other wireless access points?
I've noticed on my hub that indirectly connected devices don't always show for some weird and wonderful reason
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Used to, but that was so unreliable that I have switched it off.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

I was the OP. The iphone does have spells when it shows up - currently it's going through a spell where it's hiding. Everything seems to work as far as connection is concerned. There's much wrong with the 'Devices' screen:

- It intermittently hangs and won't show anything. Occasional, but there's not much to do but wait and try again

- The iphone not showing up

- The 'D' is supposedly indicating DHCP, but it doesn't really work - I have devices using DHCP that sometimes don't show it.

It's all complicated by BT's habit of resetting everything once every 14 days or so, so it's never very clear what might have changed due to updates/resets etc (other than my download speeds, which usually need to recover after each reset, and sometimes don't until the next update). Anyway, I can use the internet, so I guess I am supposed to heave a sigh of relief and stop asking awkward questions.

0 Ratings