Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nigma
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

HH3 Cannot forward multiple ports to same port number of different machines

I run remote desktops on multiple machines at home.. which are all on port 3389.

I can set-up a single forward from 3389 to 3389, but when for example I try to add a second forward from say for example 3390 to 3389 on a different machine, I'm told by HH that this port is already bound.

I don't want to change the port on each of the machines if I can help it as I might start to loose track of what i've changed.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: HH3 Cannot forward multiple ports to same port number of different machines

I don`t think you can do that, I think I came across that problem on my HH1 as well, so I just used different ports on each machine, an it works fine.

You just need to keep a note of which ones use which port.

I do not use 3389 anyway, as that is a well  known port number, and a target for hackers.

0 Ratings
nigma
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks.

It's a shame that the HH3 can't handle that - seems like a bug!

I don't really use 3389 anyway (used it as an example). However, I do like to keep the port numbers on the machines as they should be.. i.e. 3389 on the PC but set-up a forward of 53389 to 3389. Makes it much simpler to maintain.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I have never tried it with a different router, but it could be simply a limitation with NAT itself, its not something I have really thought about. But trying to forward the same port, to two different MAC addresses, would require a more complex bit of software than in the average router.

The Home Hub 1 for instant, only allows one entry against each target port, according to the config file.

assign name="HTTP Server (World Wide Web)" host=192.168.1.56 log=disabled

It will not allow the same destination port to be allocated to a different IP address, which is what you are tring to do.

It does not matter if you translate the port number, the destination port will always be the same.

I would expect this to be the same for the other home hubs, and other routers as well.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 5 of 5

Hi Nigma,

Rather than opening multiple ports for RDP access have you thought about a VPN or an SSH tunnel into your home network?

Much more secure and only one port is normally required to be opened.

0 Ratings