cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saddlers6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 241 of 555

Re: HH3 - Infinity - Local WiFi Channel 'fade'?

We must be the tip of the iceberg, I can only imagine there are 1000s of other people with this issue who don’t realise it yet or haven’t found this forum.

Maybe the reason it’s taking so long to fix is that so many customers are unknowingly affected and it’s a massive issue for BT... In terms of cost.

If everyone contacted BBC Watchdog we might get some change. BT won't like Watchdog investigating to find out if it’s a national problem affecting 1000s

I'll ask yet again with no response from any mod

"Will customers affected by this be offered refunds?"
I can’t see any reason why our bills can't be refunded and paused until this issue is resolved.
Your thoughts on this please mod? And if this can’t be done why not?

BT haven’t fixed this issue in months, let’s get Watchdog involved!

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 242 of 555

I suspect that you will get no compensation for this.

Compensation is only paid out for total loss of service and it would appear that all the people posting on this thread are still getting broadband delivered to their house and that is what BT are contracted to do.

You may be aware that BT, inline with other ISPs, do not guarantee wireless service because of the many variables involved and I think they will use that as their get out clause.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9394/~/customer-service-guarantee

In any event if you do want to try and claim compensation you would need to do it on an individual basis as per the above link

"How to make a claim

You must make your claim within four months of us putting things right. For actual financial loss, you must make your claim in writing. You can contact BT and request a claim form and if you're eligible to claim BT will arrange for a claim form to be sent to you."

0 Ratings
TheReverend
Contributor
Message 243 of 555

@leeman321 if you are having those constant dropouts all the time even after a wifi or hub reboot then it sounds like it's a different issue and not the fade one here, as there is a time after reset (usually hours) when everything is fine
0 Ratings
SteveWest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 244 of 555

I think I've got the same problem. Low broadband speeds. Odd dropouts. And, in my case, intermittent problems connecting to a wireless printer. I've tried resetting the router (which works for a few hours); factory reset (ditto); changing channel (ditto); turning off the router and every internet connected device in the house and starting again (ditto).

For the last couple of weeks I've been doing a daily reset while putting off the thought of having to call BT Customer Services. I haven't tried that yet, as I haven't had a day when I can set aside three or four hours, to be spent in pointless telephone conversations.

So I thought I'd check here...

So far, it looks like the solutions are:

- Buy a non-BT router (goes against the grain, when I'm paying for  a BT one).

- Change supplier (will do if no other option is available).

- Have several long acrimonious phone calls with BT to haggle with them over giving me a new router (life's too short).

- Wait and see if BT come up with a solution based on feedback from the rest of the people here.

So I suppose I'll go with option 4 for a few days, then invoke option 2 if nothing happens.

AndyJWS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 245 of 555

Little update here - after wondering why I was stuck (albeit stable) around 5Mbps, I found my HH3 had been knocked slightly while cleaning, so reseated all the cables and rotated slightly. Speed immediately back up past 30Mbps on laptop, and though it appears that my phone drops to BT-FON a bit more frequently than before - albeit with successful reconnections to my HH first time when I reselect - it has stayed at the same level for a week now. So my lowered level was very much just to do with me just being an eejit, oops Smiley Embarassed

I do wonder that there may not be a complete "one size fits all" solution for everyone here, and it's not like whatever the trigger ultimately was intended to have the effect it did, but I do believe that behind the scenes progress is being made. 

I know that all sounds rather "I'm all right Jack"-ish but it's really not intended to, figured it may be of some use to show that while it does all sound very quiet right now things have genuinely been going on in the background 🙂 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
SteveWest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 246 of 555

A further thought with regard to those who believe they are the "tip of the iceberg"....

I've been having these intermittent problems since January and have tried, in vain, to work out what was going wrong. However, I didn't think to check the broadband speed (duh!), probably because my broadband use is never heavy enough for speed to be an issue. It was only after reading this thread that I wondered if it was the "fade" effect that was causing my problems, and I started measuring the speed. The fading effect immediately became apparent: for instance, following yesterday's daily reset of the router, I was getting download speeds close to 40Mbit/s, but 12 hours later, I was down to 2.45Mbit/s download (and a slightly better 6.43 upload).

I would bet there are an awful lot of people who, like me, have experienced odd wifi problems but have not thought to measure the speed.

And, by the way, I've had BTinfinity broadband since 2012 (with HH3B) and have never had any problems at all until this year. In fact, I have previously recommended to friends who have broadband that they should switch to BT because it is reliable!

Cheers

Steve (representative member of the submerged iceberg)

pokedmund
Contributor
Message 247 of 555

@SteveWest wrote:

A further thought with regard to those who believe they are the "tip of the iceberg"....

I've been having these intermittent problems since January and have tried, in vain, to work out what was going wrong. However, I didn't think to check the broadband speed (duh!), probably because my broadband use is never heavy enough for speed to be an issue. It was only after reading this thread that I wondered if it was the "fade" effect that was causing my problems, and I started measuring the speed. The fading effect immediately became apparent: for instance, following yesterday's daily reset of the router, I was getting download speeds close to 40Mbit/s, but 12 hours later, I was down to 2.45Mbit/s download (and a slightly better 6.43 upload).

I would bet there are an awful lot of people who, like me, have experienced odd wifi problems but have not thought to measure the speed.

And, by the way, I've had BTinfinity broadband since 2012 (with HH3B) and have never had any problems at all until this year. In fact, I have previously recommended to friends who have broadband that they should switch to BT because it is reliable!

Cheers

Steve (representative member of the submerged iceberg)

Mine used to be consistent at around 32Mbit/s (again, I am also a BT customer since 2012) but nowadays in the mornings, after a few minutes after the reset, I get about 15-17 Mbits, but this drops to about 5Mbits at night.

At the end of the day, it looks like I'll have to buy a new router.  Whether I stay with BT after this debacle is another matter entirely...

0 Ratings
thempstead
Beginner
Message 248 of 555

Came across this thread today and find it interesting that other people are coming across the same issue as I have since after Christmas.

- Infinity 2, HH3 since ~April 2013

- Wifi absolutely fine since I got the HH3 until January this year

- Since then Wifi sems to fade which is only fixed by a reboot and then only temporarily.  Have seen it dropping down to >50KBps but normally drops to ~130KBps.

- At the same time wired access has no apparent drop in speed

- Neighbours Wifi is on a different channel which is quite different from mine

- Still occurs if I try using another channel

- No new Wifi client devices added in that period

0 Ratings
C130juk
Message 249 of 555

I just came across this thread, initially posting my question in the wrong place. Any advice is appreciated

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/BT-Home-Hub-3-and-loss-of-Wi-Fi-when-using-e...

Dear Forums,

Have been a BT broadband customer since 2012 and To tell you the truth I am completely dissatisfied with BT, the home hub and the help desk people. For the last 8 months I have been having problems either with Intermittent broadband, where the Hub just decides to reboot itself or where I lose my WiFi capability completely. New HH3 back in October, since then I have to reset the Hub (30 secs push the recessed button) to get my WiFi to work. This solution lasts for maybe 24 hrs.

I only have my Sky tv box and the Sonos system connected directly with cables to the hub, I have 5 other devices registered on the wifi. Two phones and two iPads plus the home computer. We are light users of the Internet just two adults using it.

The problems seems to be with streaming anything... If the Sonos is playing the radio for instance ( a small but steady stream of data I guess), after a few hours the wifi stops working, no internet on any devices although there is a full signal and HH3 is shown in the settings page of the device for instance. I also lose connectivity with the Sky TV box to the Internet, but the radio is still playing so Sonos is connected?? I have been told to 1. change wifi channels, didn't work. 2. Turn off the option to have BT wifi hotspots, didn't work 3. Reset the router, worked for 24 hrs. 4. Yesterday BT ran some tests and "reset their end of the network" at least that's what she told me, worked for 24 hrs only.

I feel that the HH3 is not up to the job with today's environment i.e. Using wifi and streaming feeds at the same time. I have asked for a newer hub (although I hear HH4 has its issues also) but have been refused saying I'd have to take out a new contract as there is nothing wrong with the hub I have....

I don't see why I should have to buy a third party router to replace BT equipment as they are not providing the service I'm paying for.

So any advice or suggestions would be great fully received.

0 Ratings
jbareham
Beginner
Message 250 of 555

Glad it doesn't seem to be just me either. Noticing particularly in the last couple of days that the HH3 Wifi light is more frequently going out, wifi drops and then reconnects a few seconds later. Tried reboot, changing channels, nothing seems to fix this at present. Also the BT Wifi and Wifi+FON signals all varying in strength or cutting out when looking at a Wifi Analyser. Difficult to know if it is a configuration issue, interference (don't believe so) or the hub is failing, had the hub since June 2013 having gone onto Infinity 2.

Regards

Jason B

0 Ratings