If, like me, you still have an old home hub 2, but need to use the HH3 wired connection for BT TV to work, here is a link for how to connect the HH2 to the HH3 as a wireless access point: http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/repeaterhubswired.html
Posted to give others suffering from the same issue some hope!!!
I have a HH3 Type B and have been experiencing the WiFI channel fade for a couple of months or more. I went through the grief of contacting offshore technical support and being told to reset router, change channels etc etc.
I gave the mods my details some time ago and I received an e-mail from the mods (Patrick) on 1st April informing me that the hub team had applied an update to my hub. I had already noticed that there had been no fade over the previous 12 hours or so (somewhat of a record for me) and I have not experienced any fade since. Before the fade started, I was getting 20+Mbit/s download and 9-10Mbit upload WiFi speeds. Once the fade kicked in (often in a couple of hours, always within 24 hours), download was down to less than 2 Mbit/s, sometimes less that 1Mbit/s, with upload was around 5Mbit/s. Since the update to my hub, dowload has been a pretty consistent 20+Mbit/s and download 9-10Mbit/s.
It is now 5 days since I last switched channels on my hub to restore the WiFi speeds, so it looks like the hub team have got a fix for this issue. I guess once they get feedback from a wider set of test cases they will roll out an update to all affected customers.
It would be nice if the hub team could share the details of this change and what caused the fade in the first place. As the firmware on my hub is still dated August 2013, I assume that either BT applied a hidden change to HH3 Type Bs earlier this year or there was a change to the protocol between house to exchange which had some unexpected effect on the WiFi. Some time ago parental controls were applied to my connection without my request and the solution was to reset the router to factory defaults (one case where BT Tech Support were really helpful). This suggests that BT can apply config changes to the router without the customer's knowledge.
Totally agree! Would be nice to be told what the actual problem is with the HH3
Nothing has changed for me either, I'm still suffering from wireless loss in the evenings and being unable to play online games without heavy lag.
Unfortunately fellow users, I won't be able to update you on whether the issue gets fixed to pre January 2015 standards. I've already decided to move on. Wish you guys all the best of luck.
Thanks for posting.
Send over your details and we'll pass your info on to the Hub team too. You'll see the link to send your details in my profile under the "about me" section. Make sure to include the following info:
Serial number of hub connected:
A few words describing your experience, (How often does this issue appear?, How long does it last?, have you found any workarounds? What impact does it have on your connection?)
|Did you get the help you needed?|
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
|Show your appreciation!|
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
|Help guide to using the community? Click below|
This issue has been ongoing for months. I've had it since at least December '14 see here: https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Atrocious-wireless-speeds-with-HH3/td-p/1428973
The only actual long term solution is to buy a different router, BT have no idea whats wrong and just point to a local issue somewhere... I borrowed an ASUS router for a few months and it was perfect. Back to the HH3 and the wireless problems are back yet again (today in fact). Complete wireless slowdown to sub 1Mbps speeds. Change channel, to ANY other channel including the channels which the wireless testers say DONT use, and it's fixed. They gradually it slows down again, switch to any wireless channel, including to and from the one you were originally on and it's fixed. Till the wireless slows down aga...well you get the picture.
@idonex in your linked post you say that resetting and restarting the HH3 didn't help, only changing the wifi channel did. This sounds like a different problem as everyone else here's problem temporarily fixes witha reboot/reset (as far as I can see reading the comments). Also yours started a month earlier. Maybe being on BT Infinity 160 makes a difference and you got sent the duff settings 'update' at a different time, and maybe it was different causing a slightly different problem because of the different package. The plot thickens. Fingers crossed fora fix soon though
Sorry, by didn't fix i mean for any length of time. A factory reset by pressing in the reset button does alleviate the problem, but only for as long as switching wireless channels does. It's quicker to change channels so i just do that normally. Turning it on and off generally doesn't make any difference.
happy to say like Biggles-Norwich, after giving all my details and anymore info (ping tests, tracert) to BT i had am email saying theyd applied a change, it been 5 days now without an issue. thank for your help guys.