Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RodoRod
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

HH4 Ethernet Port 4 Failed

Hi

Just wondered if anyone has experienced HH4 Network port failures?

My HH4 is about 2 years old and download speed dropped to half a meg with uploads at a good 12-14meg.

As I have a relatively large Home Plug network (4xHomePlugs - one with a triple switch for smart TV and BT Box along with 2xHome Plug Wifi Externders) I worked my way through to find the cause before calling BT - it took me a short while to realise that it was not the line at fault .

It turns out that the gigb Port 4 on the HH4 is malfunctioning - I moved the output to Port 2 (Have a NAS on Port3) and all speeds went back to normal.

As everything is now working again (other than the faulty HH4 Port that I am not using) I am loath to replace the router (esp as I have heard that the HH5 can have "issues" with HomePlug networks), although I am concerned that once the router has started failing it may contiue to.................

Just a comment for info - and I wondered if this was a common occurance experienced by anyone else?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: HH4 Ethernet Port 4 Failed

You must only have one powerline type device connected to the home hub, this is designated as master or AP.

All the other must be slaved from that one, otherwise you will get lots of issues, including port lockout.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RodoRod
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: HH4 Ethernet Port 4 Failed

Thanks for the comment - Sorry if I was not clear there is only one HomePlug (Netgear) connected to the HH4 - the rest are slaved in a network from that and they work great. They are not the cause of the HH4 Port failure issue.

The only other connection from the HH4 is a WD NAS (which acts as a server for my Sonos system).

To recap the download speed went from around 20 (although 54 was promised) to less than one!! - The upload speed remained good.

The Port4 had failed on the HH4 - The HH4 is working with normal download and upload speeds on Port2 now.

I must admit I could not face going through scripted responses with BT to get the HH4 replaced - especally as it is working for me (but just a bit injured).

0 Ratings