Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Gwilliamp
Message 1 of 7

HH4(a) Hub IP Gateway Address - unable to change to 10.x.x.x range

Go to solution

I have just received my HH4. Line activation (migration from Talk-Talk) completed. Speed looks good even after only a few hours.

Unfortunately the many and varied devices on my LAN are configured with static IP addresses in the 10.0.0.xxx range.

How on earth do I get the blasted HH4 to change to use the 10. subnet? Any 10.x.x.x based changes I make on the Advanced Settings/Home Network/IP Addresses page all result in an "Invalid IP setting" error.

I have downloaded various manuals. and searched the entire WEB without success.

If need be I can use the following information, found in one of the HH4 BT manuals I downloaded, to configure one of my old routers.

Connection, PPP or username: broadband.user@btbroadband.com
Password: None required
Encapsulation: PPPoA or PPP over ATM
Multiplexing: VC-based or VC Mux
VPI/VCI: 0/38

I want to use the HH4 to give it a decent trial but the above issue is a killer.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: HH4(a) Hub IP Gateway Address - unable to change to 10.x.x.x range

Go to solution
The 10.x.x.x range is internally reserved by the home hub for use by BT Wifi and BT FON. The only way around this would be to use your own router.

It may be easier to simply re-configure your network devices to use the default home hub subnet. You can still manually allocate IP adresses outside of the home hub DHCP range.

0 Ratings
Gwilliamp
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for the prompt and expicit response.

I can't say that I am at all impressed by this. Why on earth use a full Class A range for such a limited connectivity option when there are the 172.16.0.0/12 (255.240.0.0) Class B and 192.168.0.0/16 (255.255.0.0) Class C ranges available? Even in a city environment I doubt that more than a handfull of mobile devices connect to the BT Wifi and BT FON services provided by these routers at any one time. The whole setup is completely backwards.

Could it be that the BT Wifi and BT FON services are not a DMZ of the local router but the traffic is tunneled to a central router, hence the need for a Class A?

Anyway - more work/wasted time for me to sort out this mess. Thanks BT (NOT!).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You are quite right, the BT Wifi and FON are tunnelled back to a to a separate platform. This arrangement has been in place since the home hub 1.

I use one of the earlier HH1s which I have reconfigured to remove the configuration for BT Wifi, and actually use part of the 10.x.x.x range, for a local guest network for visitors.

This is not possible on the later home hubs.

0 Ratings
Gwilliamp
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

LOL! I just replaced a HH1 that I had flashed back to the original Thompson firmware. A quick reconfig of user/pass and off it goes.

This is interesting as I was hoping for a speed increase due to improved algorithums on the comms side. Obviously the modem tech from end user to the exchange has not seen any major improvements for some time. It will be interesting to compare logged speed results in a week or so with those of a monht or so back on Talk-Talk.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@Gwilliamp wrote:

LOL! I just replaced a HH1 that I had flashed back to the original Thompson firmware. A quick reconfig of user/pass and off it goes.

This is interesting as I was hoping for a speed increase due to improved algorithums on the comms side. Obviously the modem tech from end user to the exchange has not seen any major improvements for some time. It will be interesting to compare logged speed results in a week or so with those of a monht or so back on Talk-Talk.

Mine uses version 6.2.2.6, which is the last version before telnet was disabled. There is a very good subset of the full CLI commands available, once you understand how to use them.

I have configured the firewall to only allow outgoing connections on standard ports, plus a couple of extra ones that I use for IP cameras.

I have also changed the DNS to use OpenDNS, and removed some config lines that are not needed, to speed up things on a restart.

I do not use the wireless module or the DHCP server, as I have external wireless access points which do both functions.

Speed wise, there is no difference between the HH1, and the later home hubs, and the HH1 seems more stable.

Anothe reason for staying with the HH1, is that I have four hub phones, and Broadband Talk, which gives me an extra line, and cheaper anytime calls.

0 Ratings
Gwilliamp
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

HH1 off so not sure on the version loaded. It was the latest I could find at the time some years back. Apart from OpenDNS it is using the standard config as I use just about all of the options.

Thanks for your informative input. Marking as Solved.

0 Ratings