Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ooklibrarian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

HH4 and HH5 disable iOS WiFi when broadband is disconnected

Go to solution

Has anyonle else noted that an iOS device will disconnect the WiFi connection to the HomeHub if the broadband is disconnected? Is there a solution?

I suppose it's no big deal if you only use the internet, but it's a big deal for me because it denies me access to my home network. I see no good reason to disable WiFi just becauise broadband is disconnected.

The sequence of events is...

1) Try to join the network (Selecting the Home Hub SSID).

2) A few seconds later, safari pops up a page saying that broadband is disconnected and offerening self-help solutions. The trouible is, no matter what path I take through this wizard, when I reach the other end..

3) The Wifi connection closes.

The end result is that the attempt by the Home Hub to be "helpful" ends up denying me access to my own network! Is there any way to turn this off?

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
stevebrass
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: HH4 and HH5 disable iOS WiFi when broadband is disconnected

Go to solution

As a matter of interest, why do you disconnect the HH from the internet?

0 Ratings
ooklibrarian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
I don't. However, I first noticed when my BT line failed. This doesn't happen often, but when it does it means that my home network can be unavailable for days! I noticed again when testing the HH5 because it kept dropping the broadband connection.
0 Ratings
stevebrass
Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I understand - I'll have a think.

0 Ratings
ooklibrarian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Can anyone else reproduce this behaviour? It's easy:

- HH5 - just unplug the DSL cable from the HH5

- HH4 - unplug the DSL cable from the openreach modem OR unplug the cable in the red socket on the HH4.

Then try to (re-) connect the wireless on your iOS device.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Can anyone else reproduce this behaviour? It's easy:

- HH5 - just unplug the DSL cable from the HH5

- HH4 - unplug the DSL cable from the openreach modem OR unplug the cable in the red socket on the HH4.

Warning: Unplugging the DSL cable from the modem can be seen as noise/interference by DLM and cause it to lower your speeds.  Full speed will come back, but might take some time.

Doing things with the router will not do any harm.

On the HH3 (and probably the HH4 and HH5) you can disconnect from the internet using the Disconnect button on the router home page, and then Reconnect after the test using the Connect button.  (but not reconnect that way if you are using IOS to access the home page from what the OP says, as even the home page won't be accessible if ios has lost the wireless connection) 

~~~

Have you got other wireless devices so you can see if it is a HomeHub issue rather than an IOS one?

At your step (2) (no matter what path I take through this wizard, when I reach the other end..) have you tried the alternative of just leaving that tab open in Safari and not taking any path through the wizard?

0 Ratings
ooklibrarian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

The "Disconnect" button works on HH4 and HH5 as well as HH3. I tested on HH5; it prompts the same behaviour as I described, but with one important exception - when I click "Cancel" I now get a pop-up message which gives me the option to "Continue without internet". This works exactly as I wanted Smiley Very Happy 

I'll have to test it with the broadband genuinely disconnected, but things are looking up.

I don't have any non-iOS wireless devices, but I can borrow one if necessary. However, I seem to have a solution.

0 Ratings
ooklibrarian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

It looks as though an automatic update has fixed my problem - I don't know if it was iOS or BT but, fankly, I don't care. When the BT broadband connection help page pops up, clicking "cancel" now pops up a menu that gives me the option to "continue without broadband" (ir used to just disconnect the WiFi) so it's no lomger a problem.

0 Ratings