cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ian555
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

HH5 2.4 and 5GHz wireless explained please.

So, like many people I am having huge problems with BT infinity dropping out ALL the time. So far no one can give a satisfactory answer so we'll leave that.

Can someone explain the difference between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz please? I'm confused as different people say opposite things on the forum and the BT helpline two different people also told me different things. 2.4 gives you greater speed but not the range. 5 gives you the range but not the speed. The next advisor told me the opposite.

I've done what was suggested about having different SSID's for both 2.4 and 5. I then did a speed test for both.

Our house is about 200 m away from the cabinet. I'm using an iPad mini to connect wirelessly to the HH5. I'm 10m away from the HH5, more or less in an uninterrupted line of sight. Just glass in the way. We pay for the upto 36 Mbps service.

Results.

2.4GHz 17 down 7 up

5GHz.    27 down 8 up But both drop out for 30 secs or so every ten mins. (Aprox).

Speed wise both are acceptable for browsing but which should give me less dropouts? The BT advisor told me to change the following settings (made no difference), on both 2.4 and 5 ...get rid of the 'N' part of the winless and connect to b/g only and switch off auto smart wireless on both. And select a single channel. Again all of these made no difference. 

So to recap, can you clear up the difference between 2.4 and 5GHz and which should be used when, to give less dropouts. Also in your opinion was the advice given to stop the dropouts the correct advice or just the BT official line for advisors to give to disgruntled clients.

thanks in advance,

Ian

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: HH5 2.4 and 5GHz wireless explained please.

See this link for info about 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=499

As regards your problem. You have been given some poor advice about turning off "n" on the wireless.

If I were you I would start again with the Homehub by doing a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This will give you a clean sheet.

Once you have done that make sure that "smart set up" is turned off on the homehub. See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

You have previously done this but the factory reset will have given both frequencies the same SSid again so go through giving them different SSids. Just add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSid so you know which is which. Check the 5 GHz Sync with 2.4 GHz: is set to NO.

You'll need to connect your devices that can use both frequencies to both SSids if you want them to be able to use both/either frequencies.

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

You could also try downloading and running inSSider. This will show you the wireless channels that your Homehub is transmitting on as well as any surrounding networks. You want to take a note of the channels in use and change your Homehub onto a channel that is not being used. This turns off "Smart Wireless" Channel 13 is the least used on the 2.4Ghz frequency. The 5Ghz frequency is not as congested so it is OK to leave it on "Smart Wireless"

See Link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-bt...

See link for inSSIDer

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Is it the internet connection that is dropping or is it ok and it is your wireless connection from device to hub that is dropping?

If you are only using an ipad mini then it is 'N' rated so should have at least b, g ,n selected. 5ghz networks is faster but network does not cover the same distance from the hub as the 2.4ghz network

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ian555
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the reply. Also, I forgot to say, when my net drops out my wireless still shows full bars. So would that suggest that the wireless network the HH5 creates is fine and the problem lays elsewhere?
0 Ratings
Ian555
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Imjolly, thanks for replying. When the drop outs occur it seems I still have full bars on the wireless connection animation. But the BT helpline, the same that told me (after I told them which device I was using, knowing that it uses 'N'), to switch 'N' off told me that the HH5 was working fine after apparently testing it.

Regards, Ian

ps ref range for both all I can find is that 2.4 range is greater than 5. No actual measurement. So in an equal world where the view, apart from glass, is uninterrupted what would the aprox range be of both 2.4 and 5 GHz, thanks.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

If your infinity connection is dropping out then whilst there is no internet connection to the hub you will lose your ability to surf etc via wifi too. The wifi side will still operate under these conditions thus you will still see a good wifi connection on your iPad, you just won't be connected to the Internet.

The 2.4 Ghz signal is more robust than the 5 Ghz signal over distance. Without any interference and line of sight, depending on the signal quality of the hub, it would easily be 30 meters or more. The 5 Ghz signal is better (stronger) over shorter distances but without interference should still be good for 20 meters or more. Your iPad will use the "N" wifi standard and in theory at least this should be used for your hubs signal.

The problems you describe seem to be more aligned to the fact that you are losing the Internet connection to the hub rather than the wifi problem. I'm not familiar with the HH5 so can't give specific instructions but you should be able to see when your internet connection is lost by either checking the hub lights and/or entering the hubs system and checking its status or logs. If the loss of Internet connection corresponds to your loss of surfing ability on your iPad then this is the cause of your problem.

It's also worth mentioning that it is well documented in Apple circles that since the introduction of iOS 8 some users have had wifi issues on iPads and iPhones. If you recently updated to IOS 8 this could be the problem. If you able to use another device such as a laptop to connect to your hub this could help to verify that the fault is from the hub/Internet connection rather than your iPad.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Ian555
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Cooperman,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Putting the actual problem of dropouts to one side, all the info given was first class, in-depth and very helpful. Especially the distances and ios problems. You have cleared this up for me and I feel more in control when talking to the BT (non) helpline.

many thanks,

Ian

0 Ratings