Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martin_Y
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

HH5 2.4GHz Wifi stops working once per day

Hi.  First post.

Our new BT Home Hub 5 has worked more or less reliably for a month or two, but this week we keep finding that 2.4GHz wifi has stopped working (though the HH5 believes it is working and there just aren't any devices in range).  We can fix it each time by either restarting the router or logging in on a wired link to switch 2.4GHz wifi off and on again.

Looking at the Event Log, I can see the wifi working properly when the family go off to work/school in the morning - various phones etc connect normally then disconnect as we leave.  But by the time the kids get home from school in the afternoon, nothing reconnects to 2.4GHz.  No devices can see the HH5's SSID on 2.4GHz, though the HH5 claims the network is enabled.  A restart or switching 2.4GHz off and on fixes it.

Once restarted it works absolutely fine all evening and through to the next morning, but some time between mid morning and mid afternoon it cuts out again.

This has happend 4 days in a row now.  Has anyone encountered this before?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: HH5 2.4GHz Wifi stops working once per day

Sounds like a faulty Homehub. You could try ONE factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. If that doesn't help you need to report a fault and have them send out a new Homehub.

Martin_Y
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  I have some hope that it's not a hardware issue since it works most of the time and fails in such a regular pattern.

0 Ratings
Martin_Y
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Just to update this: The problem appears to be fixed, though I didn't try a factory reset in the end.

I went into Home Network > Devices and found that there were a large number of devices listed, most of which were not connected (mostly other childrens phones etc from when our kids had friends for sleepovers).  Anyway there were a total of sixteen devices listed under 2.4GHz.  I tried deleting one at random.  The list refreshed and every device not currently connected to the network disappeared.  Since then the problem seems to have stopped.

I wonder if sixteen is a limit for the number of devices the HH5 can juggle on one wifi link.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

I don't know but I don't think there would be a limit. I suspect it is just a coincidence but I could be wrong. As long as its working now that's the main thing. 

0 Ratings
rthdavid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

I have seen this, though not once a day, maybe once a fortnight.

You don't have to reset the HH5. You simply have to Log in to the Hub Manager disable and renable WiFi, to resolve it.

The problem must be a bug, and BT must be aware of it. Let's hope they fix it soon.

If you think that 2.4GHz stopping is annoying, what about 5GHz? Totally pointless technology if you ask me!

The range is short, and it confuses the hell out of portable devices.

I've made my 5Ghz SSID different to the 2.4GHz SSID, and I've made sure that all my portable devices like smartphones and tablets only connect to 2.4GHz unless it can only see 5GHz.

HH5 is supposed to "give you a faster, more reliable wireless connection throughout your home" - like hell it does! Cat Mad

As far as I'm concerned the HH5 is better than my previuous HH3 by virtue of the fact I don't need a seprate VDSL modem or separate Gigabit switch. And if it wasn't for the fact that I use BT FON when I'm out and about, I'd find a better VDSL router!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
rthdavid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

### Update ###

Got my first HH5 replaced last week, after the WiFi performance degraded to a point where throughput was terrible, and connections became unstable due to constant drop-outs. VDSL WAN was absolutely fine, as were the wired connections. It was just the WiFi!

Thankfully, the second HH5 seems to be a lot better. Good range, great throughput and very stable connections.

However, the 2nd HH5 exhibits the same weird quirk as the first. The 2.4GHz channel simply disappears, and won't return unless you log on to the HH5 as an administrator and disable/enable 2.4GHz WiFi.

• Current firmware is 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A)
  • 2.4GHz and 5GHz channel have different SSID's
  • Smart Wireless, Smart Setup and WPS are all disabled.

I have logged a support ticket with BT, so I live in hope that it can and will be fixed in the next firmware release.

Has anyone else seen 2.4GHz disappear like some others have?

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
scottyg35
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

I have problems with my hh5 I now have the 5ghz channel turned off as the device's I have just lose WiFi every 2-10 seconds and my 2.4ghz channel does it between 5-25 times a day! I got so **bleep** off with sitting on the phone resetting the hub changing the channels (which I've used every single one) but when I plugged my hh 3 back in it works with no issues! So I jumped on to Facebook for BT UK (which I would tell anyone to use if you are having problems) and have now been sent a returns kit they can have the hh5 back I've had it since June last year and this is the first problem I've had with the hh5! Don't get my wrong I've had 3 hh3 but tat works fine and if I can't use the 5ghz channel I may swell stick with the hh3!
Message 9 of 14

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, 2.4 ghz stops working at least once per day

I have now had 2x hh5s and they do the same thing. Could be my environment but if I plug my hh3 in the wifi works great. Bt won't even respond to my emails now.

So did anyone ever get a solution, or a setting or something that stopped this happening

Regards
0 Ratings
XXXTIM
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

The answer is the hh5 is pants. 5ghz limited range anything more than a room away, no chance. 2.4 gnz gives me 32 download in the same room and about 4 in the next room. Also it drops 2.4 sometimes and nothing can connect. I got around all these problems. I plugged in my old netgear router into the hh5 and use it a the WiFi transmitter and connect everything to that.
No more drop outs, better range.
0 Ratings