cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Himari
Message 1 of 7

HH5 5ghz WiFi Dropping Speed To 30mbps

Seems to be a fairly common issue with HH5 - 5ghz band speeds drop to 30mbps approx while 2.4ghz generally enables full internet connection throughput. This happens after roughly 16+ hours after a reset according to my observations at least.

Troubleshooting steps already taken:

Reset router (duh)

Separated 2.4ghz + 5ghz bands which helps nothing.

Changed channels even when there's next to no networks in the area(s) said routers are deployed.

Tried different devices connected to network, both new and old with updated firmware, same result.

From testing on both my own network and on friends' networks where we're all on HH5A with firmware of 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11, it is safe to say this is a firmware issue. Temporary relief can happen by simply rebooting the router or channel changing but after a while, throughput drops to the 30mbps figure.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: HH5 5ghz WiFi Dropping Speed To 30mbps

Bt like other ISPs do not guarantee speeds over wifi due the potential interference problems in peoples homes.

there is a recent firmware update but there are no details on what is included in the update - ends 222.1.1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Himari
Message 3 of 7

The fact is though, I *do* get the full speed, however after a certain period of time, it drops to that 30mbps figure. No higher, no lower. 30mbps. And that's just 5ghz, 2.4ghz is fine giving me the full speed that I pay for. I'm syncing at (according to router pages):

Downstream:78.03 Mbps
Upstream:19.53 Mbps

I can safely rule out interference - other (non-ISP provided) routers I've had my hands on have never had this issue and it is only affecting 5ghz after a certain period of time with or without devices using bandwidth. The root of the issue seems to be a firmware based one from what I can grasp.

Regarding the firmware update - how long should I be expecting to wait before the firmware is rolled out to me? Given how the check firmware page is only listing 204.1.1 as the latest.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

I'm sure I read a thread on here where someone wasn't getting the firmware update...they turned off their firewall in the hub and the update happened that night. They then re-enabled the firewall.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Himari
Message 5 of 7

I'll give that firewall tip a try and see what happens later.

0 Ratings
rbz5416
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

And...?

0 Ratings
Himari
Message 7 of 7

Basically: Nothing. No new firmware has been pushed to me in the 6 days of uptime without firewall. Getting TR069 Event code(s): '2 PERIODIC,4 VALUE CHANGE' which are successful but no other messages to indicate any firmware downloads. This 224.whatever firmware seems to not exist (at least for me).

0 Ratings