cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rt286
Message 1 of 4

HH5 Configuration file on new HH5

Hi all,

I have been given a new HH5 as the WiFi on the old one is rarely up and running despite many attempts to resolve.  Both HH5's have the same firmware/software 4.7.5.1.83.8.264 updated within the last 6 weeks.

I've used the admin function to create a configuration file for the old HH5 as I want to keep all the settings and hopefully the connected devices settings so that I don't need to configure all this again.

But, I keep getting an error stating that the configuration file is not the correct format when I attempt to restore in the new HH5.

All I have seen on this forum hasn't helped so far, but happy to be pointed to the correct thread!

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: HH5 Configuration file on new HH5

As far as I am aware you can not use the back up of one HH5 on another HH5.

rt286
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply, and what I feared would be the case!

So my question is, what are the steps to set up the new HH5 in a way that all the connected devices think that nothing has changed?  Is that even possible?

I set up the new box with the same SSID and wireless password and only a couple of devices reconnnected.  Those devices that are active on the network via the hub ports didn't come back online.  Do I need to switch all devices off and let them find the network again?  Although, that didn't work for the devices I tried it with.  Or copy the mac and ip addresses from the old box first and then reassign them on the new box?

Any tips would be most welcome.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

The problem is that some devices remember the BSSID, which is the actual wireless MAC address of the home hub, which is different for every home hub.

So although you have changed the SSID to be the same as your old hub, you cannot change the BSSID as that is hard wired as part of the wireless radio modules.

To update devices, you need to "forget" the existing wireless setting on the devices, then re-enter them again so the device now stores the new BSSID associated with the SSID.

You may also have issues with some location services showing your wrong location, if the BSSID has been stored by Google.

0 Ratings