cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
se1lad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 91 of 423

Re: HH5 replacement - New BT Smart Hub

I think 'madness beyond belief' is a bit of an exaggeration!

And some consumers have to be the first to try the device after it is released?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 92 of 423

Of course there have to be some early adopters but to pay £50 or there abouts for an ISP's router is madness. It should be supplied free of charge.

ramanjassal98
Beginner
Message 93 of 423

Some of you guys seem to have gotten great deals! I was offered a 24 month contract at 24.50 pounds a month! Router was 50 (which isn't too bad I guess). They did throw in some extras like 24 months free caller ID as opposed to 12 and anytime unlimited calls plus 4 pound saving off BT Mobile but I can't help but feel a bit short changed. Oh well next time I'll try and be a bit more persuasive 🙂

0 Ratings
se1lad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 94 of 423

It is supplied free of charge if you sign up to the standard rate contract, or £50 for the discounted rate.  That seems reasonable to me.

0 Ratings
abattle
Contributor
Message 95 of 423

I agree
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 96 of 423

@se1lad wrote:

It is supplied free of charge if you sign up to the standard rate contract, or £50 for the discounted rate.  That seems reasonable to me.

Did you work out how much that the "free" hub is costing? You posted the following costs in message 83:-

1. £17.50/month for 12 mth contract - Smart Hub £50 plus £7.95 delivery

2. £30.00/month for 12 mth contract - Smart Hub free plus £7.95 delivery

I calculate this at 

1. £17.50 x 12 = £210 (+ £50 hub = £260)

2. £30 x 12 = £360

That would apear to be £150 for a "free" hub

0 Ratings
ramanjassal98
Beginner
Message 97 of 423

The BT Home Hub generally are good routers even at 50 pounds, they tend to be hassle fee and quite reliable, a small price to pay for the average internet user in my opinion. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
se1lad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 98 of 423

@gg30340 wrote:

@se1lad wrote:

Did you work out how much that the "free" hub is costing? You posted the following costs in message 83:-

1. £17.50/month for 12 mth contract - Smart Hub £50 plus £7.95 delivery

2. £30.00/month for 12 mth contract - Smart Hub free plus £7.95 delivery

I calculate this at 

1. £17.50 x 12 = £210 (+ £50 hub = £260)

2. £30 x 12 = £360

That would apear to be £150 for a "free" hub

Yes I did work out how much it cost before placing the order thank you.  

To me it seems perfectly reasonable to charge for a hub if you are being offered a discounted monthly charge.  If you pay the standard monthly charge BT provide the hub for no extra charge (except delivery).   Though as you point out, this would work out more expensive over a year so I don't know why anyone would pick that option!   FYI - I was also offered the £17.50 monthly deal with no new hub if I had wanted.  However I fancy trying the new hub so happy to pay the £50.  I'd agree it would be a bit unfair if BT only offered the £17.50 deal with a £50 hub though!  

As I am saving £1.50 a month on my Infinity (previous monthly charge was £19), the hub is effectively costing me £39.95 over the year contract.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 99 of 423

How much did any previous Homehubs cost you?

How much do the other ISP charge for their routers?

If there is a fault with the Homehubs after the first year they are replaced free of charge if you are still in contract. What happens at the end of the year if the Smart Hub you paid £50 for goes faulty, do have to pay again for a replacement?

Obviously we disagree about whether or not it is reasonable to pay for an ISP's router. I happen to think it is not but as long as you are happy with the "deal" you got that is all that matters.

Hopefully the "Smart Hub" will perform better in its first few months than the other Homehubs did/do and that you have no problems with it. 

I will look forward to the forum boards being empty of complaints about poor wireless coverage, connections drop outs etc. 

0 Ratings
se1lad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 100 of 423

@gg30340 wrote:

How much did any previous Homehubs cost you?

Last hub (hh5) didn't cost me anything as I regraded from broadband to infinity - I was charged a £30 activation fee though.

How much do the other ISP charge for their routers?

Just checked plusnet - on their Infinity 2 equivalent package as a new customer you get their hub for free - but you have to pay a £50 activation fee instead.  As I am not a customer I have no idea what they would charge for a re-contracting though.

If there is a fault with the Homehubs after the first year they are replaced free of charge if you are still in contract. What happens at the end of the year if the Smart Hub you paid £50 for goes faulty, do have to pay again for a replacement?

Not had a problem with faulty hardware here, but my neighbour was outside of his 12 month contract and tech support sent him a replacement refurbished HH5 free of charge due to his connection issues - turned out to be a problem with the line in the end rather than the hub anyway.

Obviously we disagree about whether or not it is reasonable to pay for an ISP's router. I happen to think it is not but as long as you are happy with the "deal" you got that is all that matters.

Hopefully the "Smart Hub" will perform better in its first few months than the other Homehubs did/do and that you have no problems with it. 

If there are any problems with it then I have 14 days to return, so not an issue.  Maybe I have been lucky, but any issues I have had with BT broadband tech in the past have been easily resolved by updating drivers etc on my devices.

I will look forward to the forum boards being empty of complaints about poor wireless coverage, connections drop outs etc. 

Time will tell.  I can only speak from my past experience of not having any problems with BT kit.  Now the Asus DSL-AC68 is another matter!! : )

0 Ratings