cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
be11aml
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

HH5 wifi slow on 5 GHz only

can anyone help me with a recent issue. My connection is good, about 65 Mbps, but in the last few days the speed on 5 GHz wifi is about 25 Mbps. This is on multiple devices. 2.4 GHz is actually faster.

I have rebooted the router, which cured the issue for a few hours, but I'm now back to going slow.

Any ideas?
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: HH5 wifi slow on 5 GHz only

Make sure that you have turned off "smart set up" on the Homehub. See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Some devices have a problem with the Homehub dual band having the same SSid (name). Try giving the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies different SSids. Just add a 5 to the end of the 5Ghz SSid so you know which is which. Check the 5 GHz Sync with 2.4 GHz: is set to NO.

Once you have done that "forget" the connection on your device and then restart the device and log onto both the SSids if the device can use both frequencies. Not all devices can use 5GHz.

See this link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band...

0 Ratings
be11aml
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi, thanks for the reply. The 5 & 2.4 GHz are already on separate SSIDs and smart setup is off.

This has developed in the last few days, since a strange problem where the router could not sync until I unplugged my landline from the wall plate.
0 Ratings
be11aml
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I have now reset the router and configured it to sepatate SSIDs once again.

Everything was fine for a few hours and now I am back to 5 GHz running at 50% of capability and 2.4 GHz running faster.

This is not a boardband issue, but a problem with the HH5. I'm on a HH5 type A and I believe the firmwar was last updated in jan 15. There seem to be a lot of items in the event log mentioned associations and dissociations.

Anyone got any ideas if this is a known issue?

0 Ratings
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

My prognosis is that unless BT send you a later model HH5, nothing is going to solve your problem.

Frankly, I wouldn't use the HH5 (I don't and I have two BT Infinity circuits). If you come round to agreeing with me, you'd need to get the VDSL modem Huawei HG612 off ebay and then stick your own decent wireless router onto that.

I don't recommend getting a VDSL modem/router as there are almost as many questions around their stability as there are about the HH5.
Seph

My advice is at your risk.
0 Ratings
psp888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I have the same issue, but speed drops after a few days not hours.  Have to reboot HH5 for the 5ghz speed to return to normal.  Any solution to this?

0 Ratings
be11aml
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Hi,

I feel your pain!!!

In some ways, although you will not want to hear it, I am pleased that it is not just me.

BT sent me a new HH5, but it was a Type A rather than the Type B.

The issue still occurs but a little less frequently, so I just have to reboot every few days.

I have accepted now that I will be leaving BT at the end of my contact, as it is overpriced without the free BT sport and the lite option is prety poor. The way they have handled the whole sport debacle and the level of technical support means that I would rather not be associated with BT any longer.

The question is who else to sign up with?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

@be11aml wrote:

Hi,

I feel your pain!!!

In some ways, although you will not want to hear it, I am pleased that it is not just me.

BT sent me a new HH5, but it was a Type A rather than the Type B.

The issue still occurs but a little less frequently, so I just have to reboot every few days.

I have accepted now that I will be leaving BT at the end of my contact, as it is overpriced without the free BT sport and the lite option is prety poor. The way they have handled the whole sport debacle and the level of technical support means that I would rather not be associated with BT any longer.

The question is who else to sign up with?

I am signed up with with both BT and Virgin Media (for resilience).  So if you have Virgin Media in your area, I would hope it to be as trouble free as mine.  You'd have to look up their BT Sport options online as I forget what is free and what is not.  It is just about the worst web site you could imagine so good luck with that!

As regards BT Infinity, it is reliable but not with the HH5 (Rev A).  I've put a VDSL modem on (from eBay) and added my own router for a perfectly reliable service.  I have kept BT Sport as I am on an unlimited plan.

My main message is that if you can't get Virgin Media broadband, then dump the wretched HH5/A and go fo what I did described above.  That said, I can't comment on the suppliers like Sky, Talk Talk as I've not dealt with them in this context.

Seph

My advice is at your risk.
0 Ratings