Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dave001
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

HH6 Firmware update wrecked my network

Well, hi everybody.

For those of you waiting for the firware update on the HH6, don't get too excited.

I just spent the last 2 days trying to get my Ios devices to connect and stay connected to my network. I didn't have a problem before the firmware updated on Friday then boom, a cascade of connection issues. But after much time re setting, changing settings etc i finally seem to have managed to get them online.

So, if you have an Ios device that shows as connected to HH6 but will only use mobile data I suggest first off, set up a connection manually on the device by selecting "other" on the wifi settings page and entering your HH details, then once you have wifi again, head into your HH6 advance settings, search for any devices you are having issues with and set the IP adresses to static as they will drop out again otherwise.

It seems to have settled for now but will monitor.

Curiously my Macbook seems to be OK, as do my ethernet connected devices, although I have a wifi extender with a PS3 connected via ethernet and that has needed resetting a few times too..

If problems persist I will wipe all traces of the network from every device, including the extender and start from scratch.

If that fails, I'll throw it in the bin and move on.

Tags (2)
22 REPLIES 22
dave001
Beginner
Message 2 of 23

Re: HH6 Firmware update wrecked my network

******UPDATE******

I have given up with the home hub6 (smart hub). Tonight I pulled the plug and went back to my Hub5 and so far so good.

Connection issues are now daily, and while it's okay when I'm here to manage it, I'm not the only person using the network. So today was the final straw, a very angry wife calling me at work while I'm supposed to be in a meeting asking me to fix the the blasted connection again. I just don't have time to muck about like this and as any husband is aware, angry wives do not make for a happy home.

I have asked requsted the unit is returned to BT for a full refund, I'll let you know how that goes. I doub't they will compensate for the amount of mobile data we have had to use everytime the network drops.

P.S.

Curiously, the old Hub6 wireless is still showing up on all our devices network lists! even though the actual hub is sat on the floor, unplugged.

0 Ratings
dave001
Beginner
Message 3 of 23

****15 Minutes Later****

Got to hand it to BT, praise where praise is due.

I literally fired off the email to them 15 minutes ago requesting a refund, they have called me already and persuaded me to at least try a replacement Hub6 first which is coming free of charge. This seems reasonable as the unit was purchased in July and it could be faulty. So lets see..

I will check the firmware when I first connect the new unit.

0 Ratings
trapdoor
Expert
Message 4 of 23

I had a replacement Hub6 - total waste of time because as soon as the latest firmware was rolled out to it, bang, screws up the network, especially anything on Wifi and most problematic the 2.4Gig devices.

My lighting controllers were particularly badly affected, and whereas these have been running without any issue for 9 months, now they won't remain connected for more than a day, and when they drop off the network the log gets full of ... has disconnected messages and the router goes brain dead (refusing new connections, refusing to offer any management pages) until the devices are switched off. Then the only way to get them to reconnect is to default them, re-WPS them and they will then work again for anything from 10 minutes to a whole day before going the same way again.

Tried all the three wifi modes, No improvement except Mode 2 made things worse.

i started to use my Apple Airport base in my Time Capsule but it won't offer WPS and the LED controllers and my IP cameras ideally want WPS as they are difficult to manually config with iOS or Macs - I have ordered a TP-Link VR900 as the firmware apparently now works with BT TV ...  failing that I will obtain a Hub 5 to try but the SmartHub is out on Saturday and will go on Ebay. If the TP Link doesn't work, I will put a in Hub 4 I have been given and tolerate the IGMP floods it causes from time to time.

as far as I can see, BT have completely lost the plot with the SmartHub 6 and whilst it may work OK if you only have 1 or 2 devices on, I have at times 40 which all worked OK on the Hub4 (IGMP flooding with BT TV excepted).

0 Ratings
dave001
Beginner
Message 5 of 23

Well, I have to at least try it before they will agree to a refund. My thoughts are that I will note the firmware right at the start, and if it updates and I again begin to have problems then I will indeed be pursuing a full refund.

I don't have anywhere near as much connected as you do, 3 iphones, 2 ipads, macbook, 2 games consoles, apple tv and bt tv. Lan connected devices work perfect, macbook will not connect from a distance, it needs to be in the same room as the hub and even then it's hit and miss, the iOS devices are just unusable.

My thoughts were to move to an Airport extreme if I have further failure, it would suit my setup a little better, I don't have many WPS devices, just extenders and they would be replaced too so..

To be frank, the whole Hub6 experiance has been a let down, the range is nowhere near as good as they advertise, I actually think the 5 is better then the 6 in that respect too. 

0 Ratings
dave001
Beginner
Message 6 of 23

Well, I have a new HH6 installed and everything is working again as it should BUT the hub is running on the old firmware SG4B100021EC.

What I'd like to know, is it possible to switch off automatic firware updates on the HH6?

The last thing I want is for it to update again and brick the network again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

@dave001 wrote:

What I'd like to know, is it possible to switch off automatic firware updates on the HH6?

Unfortunately not. You get what you are given as and when BT think fit.

0 Ratings
dave001
Beginner
Message 8 of 23

@licquorice wrote:

@dave001 wrote:

Unfortunately not. You get what you are given as and when BT think fit.

As I suspected.

HH6 will be sold on Ebay if it causes me trouble after the inevitable. HH5 still works beautifully.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

Out of interest, if your HH5 was working "beautifully"  why did you change to the HH6. Newer does not always mean better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 10 of 23

@dave001 wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

@dave001 wrote:

HH6 will be sold on Ebay if it causes me trouble after the inevitable. HH5 still works beautifully.

I'm not sure how well the HH6 is selling on Ebay now. It's certainly getting a (deservedly) bad reputation. Take a look at the reviews on Amazon!

p

0 Ratings