cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

HH6 Mac filtering?

I was using an Apple Time Caspule for WiFi and had switched off HH6 WiFi. However a rejig means I'm now using HH6 for WiFi. On the TC I had WPA2 and Mac filtering on. I cant see Mac filtering on HH6 - is it avaibale on there?

Is Mac filtering actually needed? I always went with the "its another step for security" so better?

thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: HH6 Mac filtering?

If you want MAC fitering for "security" reasons I would suggest that you have a quick Internet search to see how effective or rather I should say ineffective that is.

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

That was part of the question. So it's pointless? Is WPA2 password enough then?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Yes. Your wireless password using WPA2 is secure enough without wasting your time and effort setting up MAC filtering which can be relatively easily overcome by any body who would want to hack your home network.

Just make sure that nobody has access to your wireless password that you don't want to have access. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Tagg74
Message 5 of 6

I have just had a new BT HH6 and looking for MAC filtering for security reasons and came across this thread.  Unfortunately, WPA2 can be cracked. All someone would need to do is sit outside your house with a laptop and packet sniff your router, then with the right software obtain your Wifi code.  The only real way around this is to add MAC address filtering to your router/network.  This way 'they' can't even get to your data packets because they can't even connect to the "periphery" of your network to get to the stage where it says "WPA2 code please before you can access anything further".

Here is just one link (of many) about WPA2 being insecure.

https://phys.org/news/2014-03-wpa2-wireless.html

Setting up MAC filtering as a second layer of security is a good thing. It may take a little more management initially but once done you shouldn't really have to do anything to it.  It does also give you greater control of your network and everything that goes with the correct management of it.

BT please release a firmware update to reinstate this.... in the meantime I think I will have to look into either getting a better router or making my second(old) router into my main router and use my HH6 to extend my network.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Have a search for "overcoming MAC filtering". If somebody is going to go to the bother of cracking your WPA2 they will no doubt know how to bypass MAC filtering.