Yesterday my HH6 got this firmware update.
This morning I can no longer connect to my work VPN (Cisco AnyConnect).
This has been working since I joined BT about a year ago, port clamping is turned on (though I have toggled it off and on this morning to check). I have rebooted both the HH6 and my laptop, tried both wifi and wired connecion and still no dice).
The only way I've managed to get it working is to turn on the DMZ and put my laptop in it (though I had to manually enter the IP address as it refused to let me select the device name). Not the best solution in my view - worse still, I work for the team that actually supports the AnyConnect VPN servers so I'm guessing that it's only a matter of time before I get customers asking me what the hell is going on!
So has anybody else had the same update and having this problem or know how to fix it?
Ironically I've been waiting for this update for months as my router has been crashing every 3-4 days and the only fix has been to do a factory reset and restore from a conf backup. I've been using a HH5 on and off but the wifi on that doesn't cover the whole of my house so I really don't want to have to go back to that again.
Try a factory reset of the home hub so that it loads the new configuration file. Its always a good idea to do that after a firmware change, as some of the user settings may not be compatible with the new firmware.
Well that seems to have fixed the VPN issue... updates really need to be properly tested to make sure that settings like this are retained across updates if they're going to be pushed out on us automatically.
DDNS is definitely broken though. i've even deleted and re-entered all the settings, all the log keeps showing is:
14:44:24, 18 Sep. ppp1YNDNS ERROR!!client:1 DynDNS update server error. Retry in 30 min.
It was working less than 2 weeks ago on a HH5 and I've got a local client I can run to do it manually that also seems to be working.
DynDNS does not seem to work on the home hub 6 as I think the script has changed, but No-IP does work, you can create a free account to try it.
To be clear I'm using easydns.com (that's what I had selected). I figured that the "Dyn" in the logs was merely shorthand for Dynamic but if it's trying to use that service and not the one I selected then perhaps that's the problem (I just double-checked and definitely have easydns.com selected!)
So I've spent a couple of hours changing DDNS settings and noticed this.
If I change set up to use "NoIP" "changeip.com" or "zoneedit.com", save, and refresh I get no log entries whatsoever.
If I change set up to use "DtDNS" or "DynDNS", save, and refresh I get the following log entry exactly once (exactly the same regardless of which service):
ppp1YNDNS ERROR!!client:1 need to check seized dyndns params.
If I switch back to "easydns.com", save, and refresh I get this every 30 minutes:
ppp1YNDNS ERROR!!client:1 DynDNS update server error. Retry in 30 min.
Clearly it's not feasible to just move my DDNS to another service just to see if it is completely broken but it seems to me as if it is.
I have read that DDNS has been broken before, how can something like this get past basic testing?
Whilst you've clearly demonstrated the DDNS functionality is broken, can I ask why you need DDNS for a PC/laptop on your home LAN to establish a connection to your work VPN server?
Surely DDNS, and the associated port forwarding, is to allow clients on your LAN to be reached via the same DNS name irrespective of the Internet facing IP address your router may be using.
Well... to be honest the reason why I need DDNS shouldn't be an issue but here goes...
I have a little more than just a PC (I actually use a Mac, I hate PC's).
I run my own email server - partly because I don't trust "free" systems for important stuff but also because I've done so for nearly 25 years (I've worked in IT for longer than that and actually used to run my own ISP).
I also run a Zoneminder security server to keep an eye on my house when I'm not home.
I also run several websites (externally hosted) but run the test/backup systems on my own server here at home.
My previous ISP (who I wound up having to take to the ombudsman for selling me an "unlimited' service that was anything but) gave me a static ISP so that wasn't an issue so the ability to use DDNS was an important factor when I chose a new ISP.
The only other option would be to use an update client on a computer which is running all of the time, or use a 3rd party router which does support DDNS correctly. Prices start at about £30.