cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 19

Re: HH6, SG4B1000B316 and VPN

OK... DDNS makes more sense now. Perhaps an option would be to run the DDNS client on a host on the LAN rather than the BT Hub.

0 Ratings
alexbbailey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 19

I have a free Mac client that does this for me... which I've had to use during the previous farce of trying to get a Home Hub that didn't crash every 2-3 days forcing me to have to factory reset it (I wound up using an old Netgear router until BT were nice enough to send me a HH5 while I was waiting for the current software update).

Frankly, I should not be needing to spend more money to provide functionallity that is supposed to come with the equipment that is provided (which I have to use because I also make use of the BT Wifi functionallity when I'm not at home).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 19

After the last firmware update, did you do a factory reset of the home hub?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

@alexbbailey wrote:

Frankly, I should not be needing to spend more money to provide functionallity that is supposed to come with the equipment that is provided (which I have to use because I also make use of the BT Wifi functionallity when I'm not at home).

You don't have to have a Home Hub in order to use BT wifi. I've never used a home hub and use BTwifi.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 19

@alexbbailey wrote:

You don't need to use a BT Home/Smart Hub to use BT WiFi when away from home. As long as you're opted in you still have access. I've not used BT Hubs for some time now, but I'm still able to use BT WiFi.

0 Ratings
alexbbailey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Ok... so far as factory resets are concerned, as I already explained I've been doing factory resets with this damned thing every 2-3 days since about March this year. I have done another two since the recent update, one of which was to fix the VPN issue and to be honest am getting fed up with having to do factory resets every time something isn't quite right. With my previous ISP I ran an Apple Airport as a base station for about 6 years and hardly ever had to reset it, even between software updates. The only reason I don't go back to it now is because it doesn't do DDNS.

As to BT Wifi, I'd been advised that to be able to use it I had to also provide it at my own location (seems pretty fair that if I'm going to piggy back off somebody elses wifi that I should allow them to do the same) otherwise it might be disabled.

Finally, despite all it's faults the wifi signal on the HH6 is actually really good and if I use any other device these days I tend to get so much bleed over from my neighbours on either side that the data rates I do get in my house make the wifi unusable which would leave me no other option than to spend a shed load of money on a high-end third party router which again I should not need to be doing, more so given all the TV advertising about how good this HH6 is supposed to be. My experience over the last year has been that it only ever seems to provide 95% of the functionallity that it is supposed to and the part that doesn't work changes on every update!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 19

@alexbbailey wrote:

As to BT Wifi, I'd been advised that to be able to use it I had to also provide it at my own location (seems pretty fair that if I'm going to piggy back off somebody elses wifi that I should allow them to do the same) otherwise it might be disabled.

That is not true, plenty of people on this forum use third party routers that do not transmit BTWifi, and they can still access hotspots.

I use an old HH1 (on ADSL), which has early firmware on it, and does not support BTWifi, and I have no trouble accessing hotspots.

It sound like scare tactics to me.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 19

As pointed out, you don't need the BT Hub to use BT WiFi. If you want the Hub 6 for its WiFi at home, you can connect it as a standalone AP. Give it an IP address outside of the DHCP scope of whatever router you want to use, disable DHCP on the Hub and away you go.

As for DDNS, presumably your email server is sitting there on some form of Linux host and powered 24/7, so why not use that for the DDNS updates?

0 Ratings
alexbbailey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 19

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

That is not true, plenty of people on this forum use third party routers that do not transmit BTWifi, and they can still access hotspots.

I use an old HH1 (on ADSL), which has early firmware on it, and does not support BTWifi, and I have no trouble accessing hotspots.

It sound like scare tactics to me.

I got stung by Sky last year over "scare tactics" the old "disconnect your multiroom box from the phone line and we'll jack up your monthly fee". Well despite it being connected via the internet they did. If anybody is going to get caught it'll usually be me 🙂
0 Ratings