cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Co2-UK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

HH6 (Smart Hub) Connection/Speed Issue

Recently got a new HH6 from BT. Set it up, all good, in fact now I'm getting double the download speed that I used to before on older hubs.

Nice right. Here's the problem:

The connection is fine for hours and then all of a sudden the speed will drop to basically nothing and anything connected will fail to load websites, access online features etc until I power off the hub and power it back on again, then it is fine until the same thing happens again at a later point.

Connected devices include a smart phone via 5Ghz wifi, PS4 via ethernet (in dmz), tv via ethernet.

Can anyone help? What do you need that can help?

EDIT: Added screenshots of hub tech log.

Screenshot_20170309-220033.pngScreenshot_20170309-220049.pngScreenshot_20170309-220058.png

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: HH6 (Smart Hub) Connection/Speed Issue

@Co2-UK Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting, I'm sorry about the problems with your connection speed. I can see from your hub stats the Data rate is very low compared to the maximum data rate so something is going wrong.

Is there any noise on the line if you try the quiet line test by dialling 17070 on the landline?

0 Ratings
Co2-UK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Still having this issue. Will try a test when I get back from work today. Issue came up again last night, however I noticed something: my smart phone is connected to the smart hub via 5ghz wifi (I have already split the bands) but once I turn the wifi off on my phone the connection goes back to normal, turn it back on and slow again. Almost as if the 5ghz wifi is choking the connection speed somehow.
0 Ratings
Co2-UK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Tried the quiet line test and can't hear anything out of the ordinary. Please help, anything else worth trying?
0 Ratings
Co2-UK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Still got this problem...
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Hi @Co2-UK Sorry you are still having this problem with your connection.

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Co2-UK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

1st BT contact: Told them about the problem. Tested for a week. Result: same problem.

2nd BT contact: Was told to test router using main BT test socket in the household over a weekend. Result: same problem.

Latest: Engineer is coming out on Wednesday (12th).

Just wanted to give an update on this situation for any forum readers as it may be helpful.
0 Ratings
Co2-UK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Update.

Engineer came out. Completed line tests on master socket. Result: Tests completed fine.

He replaced the master socket because the original was old. We agreed that the hub is most probably faulty and a replacement may fix the issue.

3rd BT Contact: Told them the line tests were fine and that the hub is most probably the faulty. Said they would send out a new hub.

While waiting for new hub to arrive I re-setup my old BT Home Hub 5 and it has been working fine everyday.

New BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) arrived today, set it up. Result: All fine for nearly 3 hours and then boom, the problem appears once again.

BT are calling back in a few days to see if the new hub has fixed the problem. IT HASN'T.
0 Ratings
Co2-UK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Another update: I'm still using the Home Hub 5.

I got a call from BT and they said to wait until the new fireware for Home Hub 6 is out, install it and try the hub again.
0 Ratings
Co2-UK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Just wondering if I can get this entire topic moved over to the "Connected Device & Other Broadband Discussions" section as this is more of device problem than a connection problem?
0 Ratings