Highlighted
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

HH6 no internet on wifi only

Go to solution

Evening,

In brief,

Signed up for Fibre broadband about 5 months back. HH6 reporting 52mb, getting about 35mb to most ethernet connected devices in the house via powerline sockets and short ethernet cables. Even getting a decent enough 20mb at the furthest one 40m away in a workshop/garage!

However......... all devices that use Wifi, lose internet after abot 4/5 days now. They show as connected, but no internet. It can be a bit varied what device fails and in what order, eg. iPad, small laptop, mobile phones etc... but eventually one a restart on the HH6 router fixes it

Just to be clear, anything attached via ethernet.... is fine.

The period bewteeen having to restart is getting less each time. The problem is worsening.

Reading up a bit, I have disabled "authoratitive DCHP" as someone seemed to fix their very similar issue doing that, but no joy for me.

I'm willing to do a hard reset the once, but have too much parameters to reset to be doing it regularly. Teenage kids needing to be disconnected so they sleep and avoid nasty **bleep** etc......

Thinking about it, if the Wifi fails repeatedly, yet the ethernet is reliable, then effectively the router is faulty, and I need a new one that works.

before I begin the horrible customer service arguements and debates to try and enact that, can anyone suggest some things to do or try? Getting very frustrated here!

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: HH6 no internet on wifi only

Go to solution

Buy a decent third party VDSL Modem/router. They start in price at about £35 and even the cheapest ones will give better performance than the Smarthub.

If you are not prepared to do that you should try ONE factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

Before doing that you can back up your Smartup settings via the hubs management pages and restore them after the reset.

Once the hub restarts make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks, I will try the above. I have just checked and Smart setup is off and I'm pretty sure that I switched it off from the start having read some forum stuff before the Hub arrived, but I'll try the reset.

Are the 3rd party VDSL Modem/Routers a complete replacement as in... disconnect the HH6 and replace? Or does the HH6 have to remain in place as a pass-through kind of device?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

As long as you get a VDSL modem/router it is a direct replacement.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

3rd party VDSL modem/routers are a direct replacement for the HH6, you do not need to use the HH6 at all. If you are happy to just have 2.4GHz wireless, then the TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 which costs about £35, gives very good results.

If you must have 5GHz as well, bearing in mind its much shorter range, and limited device support, then you will have to pay more money.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks guys,

will report back, much appreciated!

0 Ratings
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

3rd party VDSL modem/routers are a direct replacement for the HH6, you do not need to use the HH6 at all. If you are happy to just have 2.4GHz wireless, then the TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 which costs about £35, gives very good results.

If you must have 5GHz as well, bearing in mind its much shorter range, and limited device support, then you will have to pay more money.

One thing i will need to be able to do, if I replace the HH6... is be able to control device access times, and block off some websites. The websites I guess can be done via BT's page, but with kids who will NOT disconnect and sleep when they're asked to that one is pretty important. Guess that might affect how much needs to be spent.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

@alexmc wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

One thing i will need to be able to do, if I replace the HH6... is be able to control device access times, and block off some websites. The websites I guess can be done via BT's page, but with kids who will NOT disconnect and sleep when they're asked to that one is pretty important. Guess that might affect how much needs to be spent.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 does all of that.

There is a guide on my website TP-Link TD-W9970 - a replacement for the home hub

Access rules are controlled via the integral firewall, which also allows blocking of websites, even if its only for a specified period of time, or total access can be blocked as well, during specific times.

If you need specific help with that device, then please ask.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution
Many thanks Keith! Much appreciated!
0 Ratings
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution
Small update.
The WiFi dropped out again yesterday afternoon, so I bit the bullet and decided to go through the book the once at least and spent a tortuous hour in live chat to BT, pointlessly repeating stuff.....
Anyway, engineer booked for this afternoon, so we shall see what he does?
Any further problems after that though and I'm getting a third party router!
0 Ratings