Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 24

Re: HH6 no internet on wifi only

Go to solution

Just noticed a slightly higher model on offer at Argos.

Is it likely to share the same GUI as the lower model, with the same parental controls etc?

TP-LINK AC1200 Dual Band N-Router

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 24

Go to solution

No that model does not offer any configurable firewall or proper parental controls, so its not  suitable if you want full control over network, web filtering and device access.

I could not offer any help on that model, so you would be on your own. I would stick to the cheaper one.

0 Ratings
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 24

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

As expected, I have ditched the HH5 router and bought and installed the TP-link 9970.

All seems good, it's stable and the wifi coverage is a little better.

However, I'm struggling making head or tail of the parental controls. I need to restrict my son's access completely to the internet between 11pm and 6am, so that he gets some sleep!

I have kept his access previously to wifi only, so that I can either switch off the wifi or in the case of the HH6 I was able to restrict his mac addresses between hours via the router.

With the 9970 it seems I can restrict access to urls between hours via parental control, but not complete internet access? I can set the wifi to cut between hours, but would prefer mac control as my wife complains if I kill the wifi!

Is this possible? am I missing it somewhere? or is it not possible? Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 24

Go to solution

You do not use the parental controls, you use the firewall instead, which is where this router excels. As this thread relates to the HH6, I have created a separate thread to discuss this subject.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Parental-and-access-controls-on-the-TP-Link-TD-...

I will update that new thread with the information you need.

If you get stuck, the router has remote access facilities, and I can easily help to sort it out, and create some example rules for you.

The wireless coverage will be better, as it has external wireless aerials, the home hubs have only internal ones (to make it look nice).

0 Ratings