Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 24

Re: HH6 no internet on wifi only

Go to solution

A visit will not help with wireless problems, as there is no evidence of a line fault, because Ethernet connected devices are working fine.

It will be someone from Openreach, not BT Retail. Openreach only deal with faults on the external network, and would not be interested in issues relating to any of the BT Retail equipment, as Openreach deal with most other providers as well, who have lots of different routers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution
I had the same issues with losing WiFi. Replaced hub numerous times. I purchased the 9970 and have not lost WiFi since. Well worth a small outlay. There are other replacements with more bells and whistles but for the cost the 9970 suits me fine.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

I agree, and I guess I'm just going through the accepted protocols to log with BT that there's an issue.

I guess there's a small chance that the problem might get fixed, given some users say they've had no problem, but I'm really not holding my breath!

Have already been checking prices here and there, I note I can get the 9970 same day on Amazon prime!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

The 9970 has quite a few features that are not present on the more expensive models, which limits what you can do with parental and access controls on those more expensive ones.

The absence of a user configurable firewall is a major omission, as that gives you full control over what devices can access the Internet, what sites they can visit, and at what time periods.

Unlike the home hub, the TP Link uses the device IP address on your LAN, to control access. The home hub uses device names, which causes problems if you have multiple devices with the same name.

0 Ratings
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

Update 2,

The engineer has been, and replaced the HH6 with an HH5!

He only had 5's on the van, and said he'd ditched his own HH6 in favour of a 5.

Says a lot really!

I think a TP link router is still on the cards though...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

See how it goes. At least with the HH5 you have a choice of 13 wireless channels instead of only three, which may help to eliminate any interference

If you are happy with the access controls on the HH5, and  BTs web filtering, then the HH5 should be fine.

Bear in mind that the home hub`s access controls only stop new connections and will not stop existing connections.

0 Ratings
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

A short update, as it's been a couple of weeks now.

Everything seems stable with the HH5 over the removed HH6. Speeds and ping also seem a bit better? Wifi coverage is perhaps a tad better too but that's a very subjective personal view.

The software for parental controls is "okay", but no more than that, and is probably going to be a factor in me replacing it fairly soon. I previously had an access schedule set up for the lad that restricted overnight internet access for him during weekdays, only allowing overnight access on the weekend. Sadly the HH5 doesn't allow for setting anything for particular days of the week, it's either active or not. that's a pain as I have to remember to modify it on Fridays and Sundays!

Anyhow, thanks all for your help, and no doubt I'll be back asking noob questions when I obtain a decent replacement router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

The router I use, has full control over access and websites visited. Price about £35.

Its all done via the firewall settings, which allows multiple rules and seven day schedules. You can define 30 minute time blocks where a rule is implemented. You simply have a rule which totally blocks Internet access for that device according to the custom time schedule.

0 Ratings
alexmc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution
Hi Keith, I've bookmarked the webpage you mentioned earlier in the thread, and this morning had a look at the emulator for the hub. Seems ideal. Hopefully will have some time in the next couple of weekends as I've been very busy or away recently to get to replacing the HH5 with the tp link. Would like to combine it with a TP link outside AP as well as we have a very large garden with garage/worshops at the boundary too.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

The emulator is quite helpful, and gives you some idea what you can do. Its when you start delving into the user configurable firewall that things get interesting. I have not covered that on my website, apart from the OpenDNS restrictions. This is not available on the other TP Link routers.

You probably saw the arrangement for a extra AP and external aerial, this was requested by another forum member.

Extending wireless to another building

I would wait to see what coverage you get from the TP Link router if you decide to try it, as I have mine in an upstairs back bedroom overlooking the garden, and I get quite good coverage without any extra access points, as the router has external aerials compared to the home hubs which only have internal aerials.

0 Ratings