cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lohr500
Message 1 of 6

HH6 seems pants for Port Forwarding / Any disadvantage of using Archer VR900 instead of HH6?

Go to solution

I switched ISP provider from Plusnet to BT this week. I had a static IP address with Plusnet.

I access my home CCTV system remotely through port forwarding linked to the static IP address.

As there doesn't appear to be a static IP option with BT domestic, I dusted down a previous Dynamic DNS client that works in conjunction with my domain registrar.

So I thought no problem in configuring the HH6. Went into port forwarding under the advanced/firewall menu and set up the relevant ports with the correct TCP/UDP settings and off we go.

How wrong could I have been. Despite trying a number of tips of this forum, including setting the fixed IP address of the CCTV unit outside of the dynamic IP range of the router and changing the cctv gateway, I just couldn't get a remote connection. Having captured the WAN IP address at a point in time, I even tried accessing the CCTV unit using the WAN IP address with a : port suffix. But that didn't work either.

Running the freebee port diagnostics from another computer outside of my LAN, showed ports were closed.

After pratting around on and off for the best part of 24 hours, I decided to reconnect the Archer VR900 router I used with Plusnet. I used the auto configure option for BT and hey presto. Ports now accessible and remote access to the CCTV system restored. Even with the complexity of using the Dynamic DNS client and a subdomain A record with my domain registrar. 

My conclusion is that the HH6 just can't handle port forwarding. 

Are there any downsides to using the Archer VR900 in preference to the HH6. A quick speed check revealed similar speeds so I suspect not. HH6 now back in its box as a back up.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: HH6 seems pants for Port Forwarding / Any disadvantage of using Archer VR900 instead of HH6?

Go to solution

I would say the V900 is the better of the two, lots of forum members use TP-Link kit and are happy with them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Re: HH6 seems pants for Port Forwarding / Any disadvantage of using Archer VR900 instead of HH6?

Go to solution

Why would you even think about unboxing the HH6 when you had a VR900! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

You have answered your own question in the last sentence of your last paragraph

0 Ratings
lohr500
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I'll stick with the Archer then Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
yabadaba
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I had similar issues after switching from a Billion router (that finally died) to the HH6...so switched again to a HH5 that I had and all sorted. 

0 Ratings