Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
adeb
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

HP Chromebook can't connect to BT Home Hub 5

Go to solution

I bought a couple of Chromebooks about 10 days ago. (HP Chromebook 14-x056na).

I've only once been able to connect to my BT Home Hub 5 (UK) and get an error message "dns: no functioning dns server available".

My colleague was able to connect for a few days but he also has a BT Home Hub 5 and has now lost his connection.

Fortunately, I have the back-up of a second line, albeit on a slower connection.

I started a thread on the Chromebook forum but am now waiting for someone from Google Support (a Chrome ninja no less!) to call me.

Someone else in a Google Plus community said that the Home Hub 5 was notoriously bad for connecting to Linux devices. That may or may not be true. All I know is that two Chromebooks are unable to connect to two separate BT Infinity lines running on HH5. 

Any solutions for this?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Valthos
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: HP Chromebook can't connect to BT Home Hub 5

Go to solution

you need to change your wireless 5ghz to a sept SSID.

you can do that by clinking the unlink option and naming it something else like Homehub5ghz

that will solve ur issue.

0 Ratings
adeb
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks Valthos

I tried that but no joy. 

0 Ratings
adeb
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi Valthos

I only said no joy originally as tried to connect to the 5ghz SSID. 

By pure fluke, I just saw this - https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Connecting-Chrome-Cast-to-Hub-4-and-5-Updated-13... - so tried same for my Chromebook, i.e. forced it to connect to 2.4 ghz and that now works a treat. 

Thanks! 🙂

0 Ratings
cr1
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi adeb

Iv been following your threads on the chromebook forum and on here looking for a solution to the same problem, pleased to say all now sorted with my chromebook. 

Just wanted to ask if it makes any difference to the other devices if they are connected to the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz.

Not sure which would be the best option.

0 Ratings