cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tigger12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

HTC Android & BT Wi-Fi app will not stay connected toi Home Hub

Have had no trouble until a recent BT Wi-Fi  app update connecting my phone to my home hub.Every time I switch the Phone on I have to select my home hub and re-enter the hub password.(hub doesnt seem to remember my phone).

I have done the usual reset/boots to no avail.

I have even gone down the route of purchasing the new Home Hub4, but the problem still persists.(even a reset/boot on this hub doesnt solve the problem).

The only solution I have is to uninstall the BT Wi-Fi app on the phone when i am at home which will then recognise the hub and connect every time i switch the phone on.

This means that when I am away from home I have to reinstall the Wi-Fi app to be able to connect to a BT hotspot.

Very frustrating & no help from BT at present.

Anyone any ideas?

PS. Have done factory resets on both hubs.

The phone recognises my hub/s as hotspots using th Wi-Fi app.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: HTC Android & BT Wi-Fi app will not stay connected toi Home Hub

If you go int the BTWifi Help & Settings, update password and remove your password from there which will prevent it logging onto your BTWifi at home. It does mean that you have to enter it anytime you want to use BTWifi. There used to be a setting that allowed you to prioritise the networks but the latest update has removed it and this seems to be the only way I can find to stop it logging on automatically.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 16

My HTC always connected to my HH2 in preference to BTWiFi, and when I upgraded to HH4 the other day automatically continued to prefer the main SSID. I'm not sure how I achieved that, but instead of uninstalling the app try removing the BTWiFi SSIDs from the phone's network list by telling it to forget each one, then connect to the main hub. That might train the phone to prioritise as you want to.

If that doesn't work you can force the app to close instead of uninstalling it before turning on wifi at home. Settings > Applications > Running services > BT Wi-Fi > Stop.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
tigger12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Sorry,using the BT Wi-Fi app I want my phone to log in to my home hub when its in range, at the moment it wont without re-entering my password every time i switch the phone on, ie the home hub will not recognise the phone.

Scenario is.....

1)..Get home from work and switch on phone, no connection to home hub

2)..Open settings,switch of wifi switch on wifi, open connections ,find my home hub, select, enter password, connect.

3)..Check my mail, switch off phone.

4)..Have tea.

5)..Switch on phone, start again etc etc etc.

See the problem?

0 Ratings
tigger12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

HI.. Already tried your first solution but didnt solve the problem.

If I carry out your second suggestion this has to be done every time I switch the phone off & on again.

Why cant it just do what it used to do and recognise the home hub & connect?

Again I reiterate this has only occured after a recent update to the BT Wi-Fi app.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

If you are having problems with the BTWifi app the obvious answer is to uninstall it. If you want to connect to BTWifi when out and about just connect and logon via the web landing page.

You do not need the BTWifi to connect to your own home network.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

See this link about how to connect your Android phone to your home hub. Remember it is your home hub that you want to connect to not BTWifi - Fon or BT Openzone

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38411/~/how-do-i-connect-an-android-phone-to-my-bt-ho...

0 Ratings
tigger12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Please read the original and subsequent posts.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Re: HTC Andiron & BT Wi-Fi app will not stay connected toi Home Hub

I did read your original and subsequent posts and from what you said it appeared to me that you are using the BTWifi app to connect to your homehub. Obviously from what you now say in your last post I have somehow misread this so as I have no idea what you are doing or wanting to do I can offer nothing else to help other than refer you to my second post. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 16

Re: HTC Andiron & BT Wi-Fi app will not stay connected toi Home Hub

Must admit I'm also having difficulty in grasping the problem.

A year or two back when the app was called BT Fon, I simply could not get it to work properly and was better off without it and connecting manually; I've had no problems since the app was rebranded BT Wi-Fi. It could be that you've got a similar, intractable problem with the current version. I would do as gg suggests, uninstall the app and connect manually to BT Wi-Fi until there's a further upgrade.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings