cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
treenie1
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

HUB6 awful high pitched whining noise?

About 5 weeks ago i upgraded to HH6 from HH5.

The HH6 is in my home office as is my main home computer.

When i go online the HH6 starts a very loud and continous high pitched whining noise that never stops?

I thought it might calm down after a day or two or maybe a week. But 5 weeks in is still present and it is now driving me mad!

Any solutions/suggestions as to how i can get this to stop?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: HUB6 awful high pitched whining noise?

never heard of that problem on a hub6 before
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Probably a loose wound component on one of the internal voltage converters. Usually these operate at a high frequency, above the normal audio range, so most older people would not hear it.

You could ask BT to exchange the hub, but there is no guarantee a replacement would be any better.

Can you put the hub elsewhere, out of audio range?

0 Ratings
treenie1
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Can't really move it as the phone point is in the same room.

i will have to contact BT to see what they say. I will happily try a replacement one if it stops the noise-it's like torture!

re the frequency I am in my 50s so it's not at a level that only affects children either.

cheers

0 Ratings
treenie1
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

One more quick question:

I have BT super infinity (or whatever they call it these days) i have just replaced the Hub5 with H6 hoping it would improve the wifi speeds and connection (HH5 kept dropping out). Things are slightly better although still not perfect.

My question is therefore would i be better paying out for a 3rd party hub/router?

If so what are the rough costs and which ones are the best for a reasonably large 5 bedroom house with lots of wifi users in all the rooms?

many thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Whilst a third party router will probably be an improvement on a Home Hub, any router's wifi will struggle to cover a large house satisfactorily. Have a look here for an alternative idea of using hotspots.

0 Ratings