cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 33

Re: Hacked by a neighbour

This is not a BT issue. There is nothing any one on this forum can do to help you. 

If you are concerned that you have been hacked and that somebody is watching you, you should report the matter to the Police.

0 Ratings
Danwilliams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 33

Actually it is because I want the issue resolved I’m just explaining the effects it has. My main point for posting was to see if anyone could help me understand what’s going on or advise me on how to fix some of the issues
0 Ratings
Danwilliams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 33

Part of it is to do with BT equipment
0 Ratings
Danwilliams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 33

I’m more concerned with getting advice
0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 15 of 33

Hubs are fairly secure out of the box.  Security best practice dictates that when you get a router for the first time or a new replacement you should change the default passwords and the SSID (broadcast name).  Even better is configure the router not to broadcast the wireless name (SSID).

Passwords should be as convoluted as possible, you normally only have to set them once for each wireless device.  They (passwords), should contain a mixture of upper and lower case characters, numbers and special characters.  Something like this example:  3&Bg6@:^M7w9f%

The longer the better.

The most likely scenario is that someone has been careless online and allowed malware to be downloaded onto their device, PC, laptop, tablet or whatever.  Then this infects other devices on the network which in turn download all manner of nasty applications further contaminating everything connected to your LAN.

Once you have some malicious software on your devices it has access to stored passwords, browser history, personal information stored on the device, for example bank account details and other account log in data.  Not good.  The best way to be certain you have removed all malicious software is to format the drive on PC and/or laptop then do a clean install from your backup and restore mobile devices to factory defaults.  Only way to really be certain.  Then exercise some discretion when online in the future.  The Internet can be a dangerous place for the careless user.

Finally.  Never share the wireless password with anyone.  If you need a guest network then buy a router that supports this and you can change the password on a regular basis without affecting your own networked devices.  I have noticed quite a few routers placed on window sills with the password stickers viewable from outside.  Unbelievable I know, but I have seen it happen.

Security of the home network is the responsibility of the person in charge of it, as in the broadband account holder.  No one else is to blame for security breaches, certainly not the ISP.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 33

It has nothing to do with BT or the equipment you have been supplied. It is your responsibility to make sure of your own security. Liam has given you good advice.

If you are unable to fix the issues yourself you should take all your devices to a reputable computer repair company and have them examine all your devices for malware etc and as has already been said, you should report the matter to the police if you feel that your neighbours have hacked you or are spying on you.

0 Ratings
Danwilliams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 33

Okay well I’ve done all this before this is why I’m posting on here as a last resort to see if anyone has had any other similar problems. Thank you for opinion but I think this is now overshadowing the main reason I posted. Which was to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. Or could make head or tail of the situation not. So I’d appreciate any technical advice at the moment as the process of investigation with the police is ongoing. However if I can fix this in the mean time I would like to. Thanks for you comment though. Dan
0 Ratings
Danwilliams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 33

These devices have been repaired before and hacked again also unfortunately.
0 Ratings
Danwilliams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 33

Hi Liam. Thank you for the great advice. I must of missed your post. Yeah at the beginning I was told to do this by BT. I have had my devices looked at and I think it has been done by penetration testing. Only because there has been unusual Mac addresses and I have only recently moved home. The hub is tucked away. But you do raise an excellent point. And I do believe my password are being extracted from browser history. I’ve even tried an incognito browser and they’ve still managed to extract certain information. I think they are stripping down the ssl and sending me through a few redirects to pick up my personal log info so I’m only using http rather than https. Because when I go to look at my website data I have unknown websites which look like data collecting websites. As we are speaking now I’ve just had an email off eBay to say that they’ve had to reset my password as they believe it was being compromised. This is the first attempt in 7 months that they have attempted to hack something that is related to the bank. So crossed fingers the police will move their case along quicker. For me over the amount of time spent and the fact no money has been taken I do believes it’s more personal than your everyday hacker that sits over in a different country trying to commit fraud. Also I’ve heard myself through our thin connected walls the conversations. And to make sure I wasn’t going mad I asked a friend to witness it also. Anyway I’m still hoping someone will look at this and think this is what is going on. I have a feeling they are using the smb to access my devices remotely and all the ports that are open are supporting that as a framework. I’m hoping that someone can confirm that. Liam can I ask you a question? Have you heard of something called ARP poisoining if you have could you explain how they could use this to hack my devices or access my creditentials.
0 Ratings
Danwilliams
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 33

Also by default should my ip static ? And should I have no dns on IPv6?
0 Ratings