cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Halo 3+ Mesh Discs

Go to solution

I am upgrading to BT Halo 3+, which means I will get from 1 to 3 mesh discs to ensue Wi-Fi coverage inside our house.  (I currently use power line adapters and 2 access points in addition to the existing router. The router is at the far corner of an extension where I intend the fibre will terminate.)  Two questions:

• Which mesh discs do BT currently provide?
  • Is there a problem using power line adapters to backhaul to the discs?

Hopefully I know the answer to the seconds question.

Thanks GR

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Halo 3+ Mesh Discs

Go to solution

"With BT Halo 3+ you'll get...

• Smart Hub 2 - we'll give you a Smart Hub 2 with wi-fi controls for managing your family's screen time
  • Hybrid Connect - stay online even if you lose your broadband connection. This is instead of the Keep Connected Promise and means you don't have to wait for a Mini Hub to arrive
  • Full Fibre Promise - this means a free upgrade to Full Fibre 100 once it's available in your area
  • Complete Wi-Fi, which gives you strong signal in every room in your house or £100 back"

What is BT Halo and how can I get it? | BT Help

Complete Wi-Fi are the black discs. I can't be sure but I don't think you can use a wired backhaul but you can have up to 3 discs so that shouldn't matter with it being a mesh system. 

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
You can used a wired backhaul ... but you'd be better off trying without it first, as you may find performance and reliability better using just WiFi.
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks I have since discovered (from various parts of the internet) that the discs provided in the Halo Plus package are different from the three different types of BT ones available from the BT shop or Amazon. One difference is that the Halo discs only work in conjunction with the BT Homehub 2. It seems that you can use backhaul on the shop bought BT discs and I am still hopeful that this will be possible on the Halo Plus supplied units.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

The BT supplied ones are shown here https://www.bt.com/broadband/accessories/

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks DarrenDev. I think that sounds good advice and might save me some money. My concern is that the Wi-Fi signal may struggle to get through two cavity walls to get from our extension where the router is (and the new one will be) to get to the rest of the house. Perhaps the Smarthub 2 will do better than our old router.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Just to close this off completely.  There is an important difference between BT Whole Home Wi-Fi and BT Complete Wi-Fi.  

BT Whole Home Wi-Fi is a mesh system that works with nearly all Routers and is widely available.

BT Complete Wi-Fi only works in conjunction with the BT Smart Hub 2 and ideally the free My BT App.  It is available to rent from BT, as part of the Halo plus packages or can be bought from Amazon and the BT Shop. 

Tags (1)