cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Hardwire Full Fibre 900 with BT Halo 3+

Hey All

I'm stuck and need some help.  i have shocking wifi in the house, the house made of old school bricks..

I have upgraded to the halo 3+ with wifi disc but need some help because i cant figure this out

I have

BT Smart hub
4 x wifi disc
4G smart hub
then for work i have a draytek vigor running a vpn to multiple sites, Draytek current manages the wifi network via a CISCO access point

most all devices in the house has a hardwire to it, got 8 port routers in all rooms conencted to the Draytek network

I want to remove the cisco ap for wifi and use the BT Smart wifi network

What i want to be able to do is connect the Smart WIFI discs to the BT main router using CAT6 cables so the Wifi from the disc to the main bt hub is not used.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Hardwire Full Fibre 900 with BT Halo 3+

networkk.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

The BT WiFi discs are not intended for that configuration. You simply need 4x wireless access points rather than a disc system.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

I'm also not sure if the wifi discs do a hand over from Disc to disc to maintain a good connection or does the connection drop and your device then need to reconnect to the next closest AP.

shame really.. Bt solution is good but not really intended for best practice.

Any recommendations on decide AP's that works with BT Home Hub??

thinking ubiquiti?

Drayek has been hit and miss and not sure Cisco is the way for ward for home purchases with costings

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

As the APs will connect via Ethernet, any will be suitable.

You do not need or want a mesh system, you need discrete APs.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Hi Oldskoolsandhu

I have successfully connected a single complete WIFI disc to a BT Smart Hub 2 using Ethernet and I get the same speed out of it as I do the SH2.

As you have 4 discs and  the Smart Hub has only 3 available ethernet ports you will need a good quality switch to give you enough ports to plug into

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

thanks mate!!  i have a number of 1GB switches and will connect each to a single port on the back of the SH2.

So getting the feeling connecting via the network cable is good

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

One disc may work connected via Ethernet, I'm not convinced 4 that are intended to be meshed will do.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

I agree with Liquorice, I was not convinced that it would work until a community member posted a video showing using a single disc connected via a switch to the SH2. There have been community posts on doing this in the past which come up on an internet search. However you cannot access the posts as they have possibly been archived.

Let us know how you get on

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

hey guys.. here is a question.

do you know how i can confirm the ethernet cable is being used and not the wifi? 

just making 4 50 meter cables to run then to the west/north/east and south wing 😉

0 Ratings