cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gavinstamford
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Have I got the right DNS servers?

Just got my new BT Smart Hub 2 and its working great except on particular game on my PC just takes forever to load into servers. What would normally take 45-60 seconds to load is now taking 10 minutes. Once I'm in, all is fine and the pings are entirely normal. In trying to understand this and taking advice from other people chipping their 2p's worth in, I've run a couple of pings and tracert's to both googles DNS 8.8.8.8 and the two set in my Hub.

The google DNS was fine, pinged and returned and trace completed with 2 timed out steps. The 2 BT DNS both timeout entirely for ping and for trace I get 2 hops, a timeout, another hop and then 27 timeouts. Is this normal? 

I'm scratching my hair out now because I have no clue how to proceed.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gavinstamford
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Have I got the right DNS servers?

C:\Users\Gavin>tracert 81.139.56.100

Tracing route to 81.139.56.100 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.254
2 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms 172.16.15.1
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms 31.55.187.176
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Gavin>tracert 81.139.57.100

Tracing route to 81.139.57.100 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
2 21 ms 20 ms 20 ms 172.16.15.1
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 27 ms 26 ms 25 ms 31.55.187.176
5 * * 31.55.187.176 reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.
0 Ratings
Mooly
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Have you tried entering Google DNS on your PC (so it always defaults to use those rather than BT's)? 

https://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-to-switch-to-opendns-or-google-dns-to-speed-up-web-browsing/

0 Ratings
gavinstamford
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

I hadn't. I've just tried but it doesn't resolve the issue with the game. Like I say, everything else seems fine in terms of speed and my ping to the games servers are all perfectly normal and expected. Must be something else but I'm at a loss to guess what. 

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 5 of 10

What game?

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

Are you using a VPN? if so try turning Port Clamping on (Router/Advanced /Broadband/VPN)

0 Ratings
gavinstamford
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

@h3x1e
IL2 Cliffs of Dover - a flight sim.

@V_Meldrew
No, I'm not using a VPN.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 8 of 10

DNS wouldn't really have antything to do with load times into game server.

I'm not farmiliar with the game at all so I'm not sure if it works on a P2P server structure or with one of the dedicated server structures.

I personally would download something like NetLimiter, load into a server and see where that server is located. See if it happens on ALL server or just a few in a specific region.

Do you use an SSD or HDD?

When you say load into servers to you mean loading as in your PC is struggling to load the map or is there any "connecting...." GUI that is taking forever?

Post PC specs so we can get an idea of whats going on.

But if it's on this ONE game it's highly likley it's they game servers themselves and nothing much to do with your setup.

Can you give examples of other games you play that work perfectly fine?

0 Ratings
gavinstamford
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Hi, CLOD uses the steam master server system. However there's only a few servers in the world and I've got abnormal loading times on all of them. I know this because I host one of them, and people are connecting to my server in about 60 seconds (from pressing connect to being able to spawn an aircraft) which is about normal. I'm around 10 minutes.

The reason I'm sure its something to do with my connection or set up is that things like Hell Let loose, Post Scriptum, ARMA, Wolfpack, DCS, IL2 Great Battles and anything else I've tried is fine. Plus, I used to do this three years ago and all was well.

PC is 4670k not overclocked, 16GB RAM,  Nvidia 1070, loading from an SSD. The boot for the game itself is fast. It's just connecting to the server.

0 Ratings
h3x1e
Expert
Message 10 of 10

Hmm, I was going to suggest some issues loading admin taged players or something but since it's happening on every server it can't be that.

Have you tried using a different DNS? (Just incase, I doubt it'll work but...) test everything I guess. Use CloudFlare just incase 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1

You could also try turning off Smart Setup on the new HUB if you haven't already.
https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

If that fails I would look into Forwarding the ports that the game uses on the router.

0 Ratings