cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CharlieB1
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Having real speed problems on Wifi. Is it my devices?

Hi, like many people on this forum, I too am having terrible problems with inconsistent speeds. 

I am at the end of contract and now in beginning of the cool-off period of new contract. If speeds don't get better then I'll try elsewhere. However, could it be my devices?

Here are the stats:

Smart Hub 2 Manager

This is a quick overview of your BT Smart Hub's status.

Connection type:

Fibre Broadband (VDSL)

Firmware version:

v0.15.00.06145-BT

Firmware updated:

undefined-undefined-undefined

Downstream sync speed:

21.057 Mbps

Upstream sync speed:

499 Kbps

BT sent out new SmartHub2 (we were on the old one before) and we've connected it all with all the new cables and filter etc. No change.

With wifi off and laptop connected via ethernet we get speeds of 17Mbps which is expected in our area. (Fibre to box which is about 250m away as the crow flies)

With wifi on, the speeds frequently drops below 4Mbps and sometimes to a standstill. Turn wifi off and speeds usually recover. When wifi turned back on then speeds can sit around 6Mbps before dropping again. 

BT Hub reports strong wifi connection everywhere (small house, line of sight to pretty much all devices) 

Quiet line test fine - no more noise that I'd expect, a very quiet shhhhhh. (Is that why it's a quiet test :-D)

So, is it my devices and could they be responsible for killing the wifi speeds? 

We run: 

Macbook pro 2013 (ethernet)
BT TV (ethernet)
Hive hub (ethernet)
2 x samsung galaxy phones c.2014
Google chrome
Amazon fire
2 x Amazon echo dots
iPad c.2017
kindle reader
sometimes nintendo wii

I know the issue of slow speeds seems to come up a lot on the forums recently but I'd like to get to the bottom of this to inform whether I renew my contract with BT.

Thanks in advance, 

Charlie

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Having real speed problems on Wifi. Is it my devices?

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

The quiet line test should be silent apart from announcement  no ssshhhhh

If you are 250m from street cab then your speeds are terrible

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
CharlieB1
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Technical Log:

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:

Firmware version:v0.15.00.06145-BT

Firmware updated:unknown

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019

DSL uptime:0 days,09 Hours29 Mins22 Secs

Data rate:499 Kbps / 21.057 Mbps

Maximum data rate:504 Kbps / 23.012 Mbps

Noise margin:6.0 / 3.5

Line attenuation:10.3 / 25.9

Signal attenuation:5.6 / 24.4

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:1.6 GB Uploaded / 3.4 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-3SAF97

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel1)

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-3SAF97

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:

Software variant:-

Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL :

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) CharlieB1_0-1589659686020.gif
VDSL Range B (Impacted) CharlieB1_1-1589659686047.gif
26.818.52.31.116.3AvailableAvailable--
26.316.12.3111.4AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 10--7.5 to 13AvailableAvailable--
Up to 10Up to 17.5 to 13AvailableAvailable--
Up to 8--7 to 8AvailableAvailable--
2----AvailableAvailable--
2----Available----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2019-12-18
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
N
N
28-04-2020

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

connection time is only 9hrs was that due to manual reset or hub dropping connection?

your connection speed is well within your expected range from dslchecker so that looks ok.  With that speed you are further than 250m line length from your street cab

up speed is low compared to checker but BT do little to help up speed as most concentrate on down speed

heve you turned of smart setup?

you cannot split the networks but you can select your wireless channels which may help instead of leaving on auto. Try getting a wifi analyser for smart phone and check for neighbouring router and the channels that are in use then select another channel on your hub 

you can also try changing the wifi mode which is supposed to help with older wireless devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 13

@CharlieB1 @imjolly 

For analysis of Channel use (and congestion), there's a free application from the Windows Store -"Wi-Fi Analyser" - for use with Windows 10 PC. There's an option to upgrade this app, but not really necessary.

Past experience here has shown that there's some interference with Channel 1 from appliances/ power supplies, etc.
You may not see this on the  app, however, but it's worth a look. Try switching the 2.4 GHz to Channel 6.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

@Ribblelancs 

the wifi analyser only works on windows if you have your pc connected wireless.  OP is using a MAC

Message 7 of 13

@imjolly ,

oops!, sorry. It’s worth fixing the 2.5 GHz channel to ch6, though. Then look for an improvement.

(I use Network Signal Info Pro on an Android Mobile.) Reliable network analysers are difficult to find for Apple devices.

CharlieB1
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Thanks @imjolly and @Ribblelancs . I've turned off Smart Setup and I've changed 2.4GHz setting to Channel 6 and I've left 5GHz set to Smart (currently ch36) and will see what happens next. 

I do remember having an app that I used on my android phone that displayed how busy each channel was so that the best could be chosen. I couldn't see that on the Network Signal Info app but I'll keep trying. 

Thanks for your help.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
CharlieB1
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Could there be any conflict with the wifi 'networks' being thrown out from other devices. I don't really understand this but if my main wifi network cannot be found, my phone sometimes tries to connect to one of the following:

BTWifi-with-phone (very irritating and never used)

BTWifi-X (don't know what that is?)

NOWTVPJXQQ- We do have NOW TV in plan but is this coming from the tv box or firestick?

HIDDENSSID (this comes up on the 'Wifi Analyser app' - no idea what it is!)

Just a thought as when we were with TalkTalk the laptop would sometimes connect to the chromecast as a wifi network.

Thanks,

0 Ratings
CharlieB1
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

@Ribblelancs @imjolly I'm not sure if you've anything else you can think off but just an update.

Hub set to 2.5g = ch6 and 5g= ch48

Smart set up off

This morning it was so slow that the broadband speed check wouldn't even register it. 

I switched wifi off for my zoom calls and speed this morning went to 17. 

I checked at 6pm and my speed with wifi off, through ethernet was 8

I've turned on wifi and I'm at 4.1!!!

(I've now switched to wireless mode 2 to see what happens)

Really not sure where to go from here? If it wasn't lockdown, would this be something I would pay an IT person to come and check my home setup?

0 Ratings