Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meridius
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Help, 2 Xbox one consoles. Need help on port forwarding and ipv6, thanks

Hi all

I have a BT Home hub 4 and I just got my 2nd xbox one X and wanted to portforward xbox live and a game. I have alrerady doen this for my first xbox one and i have also given each console there own ip,

the problem is when i come to add teh 2nd xbox it keeps saying i need to remove the first xbox ? I wnat to be able to open my nat and ports on both consoles but i can not get it to work.

2nd question

both xbox now ask for ipv6 how do i enable both xbox only to use that type format ?

thanks for any help.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2759601729.png[/IMG][/URL]
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Help, 2 Xbox one consoles. Need help on port forwarding and ipv6, thanks

That is not possible, as you can only forward an incoming port to one device.

UPnP was designed for that purpose as it will open and close ports as and when needed, without having to manually forward ports.

Unfortunately the implementation of UPnP on the home hubs is broken, so the only realistic alternative is to use a third party modem/router which does support it properly. Prices start at about £30.

See this page for such a device Cheap reliable replacement for home hub.

Page 77 of the user manual explains this function, and the router will display a list of currently connected devices and which ports they are opening and closing.

Its still a good idea to use a static IP address, and this router is in the same subnet as the home hub but has a different DHCP range, however it does have the facility to reserve IP adresses properly.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Hi @meridius

As @Keith_Beddoe has said the hub implementation of UPnP is not particularly good.  As you want to be able to support IPv6 for online gaming with the Xbox the hub 4 does not support IPv6 in any case.  So you will need to get another router, make sure you look for a VDSL router.

Keeping in mind you want IPv6 you need a router that properly supports it.  This rules out Netgear and Linksys entirely as they do not support IPv6 properly.  If considering a TP-Link it's best to email the tech guys at  support.uk@tp-link.com  and make certain that the one you want properly supports IPv6, some do and some don't.

Billion, DrayTek, FritzBox and most Asus routers work fine with IPv6, some newer Asus models seem to have firmware bugs so best to check with the maker.

Once you see something you think is suitable you could post back here and see if any forum members have experience of that particular device.

Once you have a good router that supports IPv6 you will have no issues with NAT.  Using IPv6 you can forward the exact same ports to multiple devices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Malacath
Expert
Message 4 of 6

There is actually a new setting the the consoles advanced network settings to changes the consoles network port.

You can use this setting to change the port on one of your xboxs to something other than 3074.

This way you can use port forwarding to have open NATs on both your consoles.

This wont help for the call of duty games though as they use their own network ports and wont let you change them

0 Ratings
meridius
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Thanks to all who helped but i have spent alot of cash lately so the router will have to wait, I will save this post so when i decide on what to get i will post back.

I noticed the xbox one and xbox one X now have a port setting but not to sure what this is for as that is just one port and i thought the xbox one x had to port forward a few ? so i am not to sure what this port is used for as mine is random

here is the list

Ports required to use Xbox Live

These ports must be open for Xbox Live to work:

• Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
  • Port 500 (UDP)
  • Port 3544 (UDP)
  • Port 4500 (UDP)

as you can see there is many ports ?  or is this old news and you dont need to open all these ports anymore or just the one as microsoft website still lists all these ports to open

I read here

Alternate multiplayer port selection: Under Network settings, Advanced settings there's a new button labeled Alternate port selection. For home networks where UPnP is problematic or unavailable and where multiple Xbox consoles are present, customers can now select an alternate port for multiplayer and chat to use. The default port for Xbox multiplayer and chat is UDP 3074, and when working around NAT issues you can set up either port forwarding or port triggering for this port & protocol to open up the NAT type for a single console. However, this option is only available to one console at a time if all consoles are using UDP 3074. With this new option, you can select a different UDP port from a drop down menu for each console so that you can setup port forwarding rules for each console on your home network. When the console binds to the new port, it will also attempt to port map via UPnP on this new port in case the UPnP issues with the home router are intermittent.

Test NAT type: Under Network settings there's a new button labeled Test NAT type. If you are troubleshooting NAT issues with your router and make changes such as enabling UPnP, configuring port forwarding, port triggering, or DMZ settings, you can now click this button to have the console re-run the NAT test and update the page with the new result if the NAT type has changed. A few important notes here:

So is it best to turn off the static ip or just leave the static ip on  and then change the port in the console or do i still need to create a rule in the router to open the port for each console to match the port in the console settings ?

eg 

console 1 port 3074 seleted in console settings and then in router  create a rule for console 1 to open port 3074 

console 2 port 3075 seleted in console settings and then in router  create a rule for console 2 to open port 3075

or should i remove the static ip option and then use  UPnP and set up like this

console 1 port 3074 seleted in console settings and then in router do nothing 

console 2 port 3075 seleted in console settings and then in router do nothing 

what i notice dis that the xbox does not use 3074 as in the port list they all start with 5*** not to sure if i know what to do here

cheers

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2759601729.png[/IMG][/URL]
0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 6 of 6

It is not necessary to forward all those ports and never has been so delete all the ports mappings and start again. The only necessary port is 3074 but since a recent update you can select an alternate port.

Just forward UDP 3074 to console 1

Forward whatever alternate port you select for console 2.

You will need static ips for each xbox as well.

Thats it. If done correctly you should have an open NAT on both xboxes. You should hopefully stop having the teredo errors as well if they were what you were referring to in your original post when asking about ipv6.

Oh and like I said in my last post if you play call of duty the alternate port selection doesnt effect that game. You will still only be able to have an open NAT in one console for that game. Just forward port 3075 and 3076 to the console you want to play COD on.

0 Ratings