cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JAK1989
Message 1 of 8

Help Needed - Connecting a new Router

Hi,

I have just bought an asus rt-ac68u router to replace my old BT home hub 3. I have connected it to the existing BT openreach modem

I have configured the new router. The WAN settings are PPoE. The router is showing as connected to the Internet.

However the problem is my computer shows the network is not connecting to the Internet despite the router saying it is connected. When I run a windows network diagnostics test it says there may be a problem with your Domain Name Server configuration

Has anybody got any ideas what I have done wrong. I've left the dns field to set themselves automatically.

Appreciate any help you can give. I don't know much about networks, the instructions made it look like it would be pretty much plug and play

Thanks
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Help Needed - Connecting a new Router

You need to go into the router management pages and put in the correct settings. You have to make a PPPoE connection and the username is bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password can be anything you want if your router needs one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
JAK1989
Message 3 of 8

Ok thanks sage. I have done that. That's what's frustrating. On the router management page it says connected to the Internet as if all that stuff was set up ok. However on my computer it says I am not connected to the Internet. What setting do I need to make sure I have entered? Any ideas?
Thanks for taking the time to reply
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

I don't have this router but going by the instructions here

http://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Manual/

it should be fairly straight forward to set up. All the setting should be populated automatically when you connect with the exception of the setting I gave you.

If you have changed or put in any settings other than the PPPoE and account name etc I gave you I would carry out a factory reset of the router and start again following the instructions to the letter.

Make sure you are connecting by Ethernet before trying to connect by wireless.

0 Ratings
JAK1989
Message 5 of 8

Thanks sage. Appreciate you taking the time to respond. I have done pretty much as you described above. Km wondering if it's problems with my existing bt modem. I'm gonna reset and start again. See where that takes me. My old BT home hub 3 is working fine on it still which makes it more frustrating this doesn't work. Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Have you tried connecting your phone by wireless in case it's a problem with the computers connection?

0 Ratings
JAK1989
Message 7 of 8

That's a gd idea. Just checked. Phone laptop and games console cannot connect on new router but all works fine on old router.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

I would start again.

0 Ratings