Did you mean: 
Highlighted
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Help - Trying to add a Homehub 2 to extend my Homehub 3 Wifi network

Go to solution

Hi All

I've recently acquired a Homehub 2 (type A) and I'm trying to add it to my network to extend my Wifi.  My primary router is a Homehub 3 (type A).  I'm using TP Link Powerline adapters around my house to extend my wired network, and plugging my HH2 into a gigabit switch from one of the Powerline adapters (I know this works as I have a working Xbox and WDTV both networked from the switch via the Powerline adapter).

I've followed the guide here (http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/repeaterhubswired.html) to set up the HH2 as a WAP.

I've successfully reset to HH2 back to the factory defaults, accessed the HH2 via the preset admin password, reset the admin password, renamed the SSID to a unique SSID, given the SSID a password, disabled DHCP, disabled the firewall, and reset the IP address to 192.168.1.175.

Currently I can locally browse to the HH2 web client and login at 192.168.1.175.  I can also see the HH2 via wifi on my network.  However, the issue is that when i attempt to connect to the HH2 via wifi it never manages to assign the device an IP address.

Anyone any ideas as to the problem / solution?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Help - Trying to add a Homehub 2 to extend my Homehub 3 Wifi network

Go to solution
Checked all the settings again and still can't spot the issue.

Connected back to my main HH3 over wifi, and found that i'm unable to ping and navigate to the HH2 slave.
0 Ratings
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
.....and removed my TP Link switch from the equation and its still not on the network.

Tomorrow i'll retest directly connected from my HH3 to my HH2 without any Powerline adapters.
0 Ratings
bilco99
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I got the same problem at the weekend (albeit between two HH 2 type a routers) when the power line adapters weren't connecting to each other.  If you have changed the DHCP settings in the "slave" router - the IP addresses will be allocated by the master router.  If the slave cannot connect to the master then it can't assign an IP address.

Anyway that's what seemed to have happened to me - immediately the two routers were connected the IP addresses resolved immediately.

You may want to try resetting the powerline adapters and make sure they are connecting to each other (on the BT supplied adapters that means the top "data" light is displaying green on both adapters).  I also found that sometimes after a disconnection or the master router being switched off, I had to restart the "slave" router after the master router was available again.

I hope this helps.

TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi

I used this information from a more technical member of the forum to use a HH3 as an extender; it might help..

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/wireless/hh3link.html

Tim

0 Ratings
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
I figured this out as I woke up this morning (for some unknown reason)!

Checked my other devices fed by the same Powerline were working - they weren't. Paired my Powerline adapter with the main one at my router and everything worked like a charm.

I even managed to retire a gigabit switch and use the HH2 instead.
0 Ratings