Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave_Lonsdale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Help needed for port forwarding

Go to solution

New to BT broadband (home) and smart hub 6.

I have an IP camera CCTV system at home using Windows video security webcam software that has run OK for many years with two previous ISPs.  Occasionally I need to remotely log in to individual cameras using the WAN/Internet, facilitated using noip DDNS.

I am not an IT consultant but even with my very limited knowledge, setting up port forwarding on the smart hub 6 seems very easy.  Unfortunately, however, I can only make it work for the CCTV PC software's remote interface (Blue Iris) and not for a camera direct.  Pictures attached.

Your help would be appreciated

Thank you

Home network and devices.pngport forwarding.png

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Help needed for port forwarding

Go to solution

Try allocating the rules to the IP addresses as they are static rather than the device name. You would also be better allocating the static addresses outside of the DHCP range of the hub i.e between 1 and 63 for the last part of the address.

0 Ratings
Dave_Lonsdale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hello liquorice

Many thanks for your prompt reply.  I have done as you say but it’s still not working so far.

I changed a camera address from 192.168.1.111:8082 to 192.168.1.11:8082 and changed the port forwarding accordingly.

But I’m not quite sure what ‘allocating rules to IP addresses’ means and so changed the rule name to the IP address and selected ‘Show IP address’ in the next column in case that made any difference.

Do the the up/down arrows in circles show only Internet data traffic?

Does something else in the router need to be set - perhaps obvious to you but not to me?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

When you create a rule you can either select the device from the drop down list of names or by entering the IP address of the device by toggling the 'Show IP address/Show device' button. Create the rule by entering the IP address rather than selecting the device from the list.

Not sure if the up and down arrows are internet traffic or LAN traffic, I suspect the latter.

0 Ratings
Dave_Lonsdale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

No joy I’m afraid - entering the IP address as you suggested, still using the address outside of the router’s dhcp range.

Remember that the port forwarding does work for the static address 192.168.1.100:8020 (selected using the drop down box) for the CCTV program running on the PC.  There must be a key difference that I am not aware of.

I’m guessing that the up/down arrows must be external traffic, the cameras are constantly transferring valid data to the PC program.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry, out of ideas now. Seems odd if the same arrangement worked OK with your previous router. Just a thought, have you turned off UPnP to prevent any conflicts, bit of a long shot as the PC works OK.

0 Ratings
Dave_Lonsdale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Upnp is turned off.  Many thanks again for taking the time to help.  Is there a detailed user manual for the hub?  As a test, I wonder if one of my previous ISP’s routers will work with BT broadband (TalkTalk and Vodafone, both DSL)?  If so, I’m not sure what setup info I would need to know....

Unfortunately, I have to go out now for the evening so can’t check but I may struggle to figure it out.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

If the routers aren't locked, then the only thing you need to enter is the PPPoE username and password of bthomehub@btbroadband.com and BT respectively.

There is no comprehensive manual for the home hub.

0 Ratings
Dave_Lonsdale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hello again liquorice

Problem solved.  I eventually dug a little deeper into my aged failing brain cells and realised that, because the new BT router is now on 192.168.1.254 instead of 192.168.1.1, I also needed to change the default gateway in the cameras.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Of course!  Sorry I should have thought of that when I knew you had given the cameras static addresses rather than DHCP addresses. Glad you finally sorted it and thanks for the update.

0 Ratings