cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Help needed - viewing CCTV DVR feed using BT wifi

Go to solution

I'm helping a friend who has BT broadband. We have the DVR 'stand alone JPEG2000' which has a network cable output, which is plugged into the router. It's an old DVR which isn't plug/play like newer ones, but I'm just seeing how far we can get.

The broadband setup has the BT hub, and a pair of BT extenders, with the second extender wire into a Netgear router that the DVR is plugged into.

Should we able to scan the WiFi for IP cameras and see this?  I don't seem to be able to, and I've tried specifying the DVR IP address without luck.

Do I need to set 'port forwarding' on the router?

One thing is that I can't seem to access the router through 192.168.1.254.  I don't know whether the BT hub is limited or not, the hub model is Draytek 2762.

Thanks a lot.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Help needed - viewing CCTV DVR feed using BT wifi

Go to solution

@Stuarty77wrote:

Having had a look on google for the DVR, he's my input:-

I'm helping a friend who has BT broadband. We have the DVR 'stand alone JPEG2000' which has a network cable output, which is plugged into the router. It's an old DVR which isn't plug/play like newer ones, but I'm just seeing how far we can get.

The broadband setup has the BT hub, and a pair of BT extenders, with the second extender wire into a Netgear router that the DVR is plugged into.  Unless the 2nd hub is set up as a slave, then it will be in conflict with the bt hub

Should we able to scan the WiFi for IP cameras and see this? You wont see them through the wifi, as they are hard wired cameras, you'll be able to see their ip address through the bt hub and then access them.

I don't seem to be able to, and I've tried specifying the DVR IP address without luck. You wont access them through the DVR, the cameras will only work by connecting coax cameras to the dvr,  unfortunately its not an NVR and wont see the ip cameras.

Do I need to set 'port forwarding' on the router? No

One thing is that I can't seem to access the router through 192.168.1.254.  I don't know whether the BT hub is limited or not, the hub model is Draytek 2762. Probably because of the conflict, remove the drayton hub as there should never be 2x hubs in standard mode connected, and see what happens.

Thanks a lot.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
  • Thanks for reply and looking in to it. If you can help further, I have added my comments in bullets

Having had a look on google for the DVR, he's my input:-

The broadband setup has the BT hub, and a pair of BT extenders, with the second extender wire into a Netgear router that the DVR is plugged into.  Unless the 2nd hub is set up as a slave, then it will be in conflict with the bt hub. 

• Thanks I'm going to try it with a different router

Should we able to scan the WiFi for IP cameras and see this? You wont see them through the wifi, as they are hard wired cameras, you'll be able to see their ip address through the bt hub and then access them.

• What I hope is to see the feed from the DVR network cable in to the router, whatever that contains (different camera views I guess)

I don't seem to be able to, and I've tried specifying the DVR IP address without luck. You wont access them through the DVR, the cameras will only work by connecting coax cameras to the dvr,  unfortunately its not an NVR and wont see the ip cameras.

• Yes the cameras go into the DVR, and can be seen on a monitor.  That all seems to work ok. It is the network cable out of the DVR unit that I'm trying to read, over WiFi, on a phone.

Do I need to set 'port forwarding' on the router? No

One thing is that I can't seem to access the router through 192.168.1.254.  I don't know whether the BT hub is limited or not, the hub model is Draytek 2762. Probably because of the conflict, remove the drayton hub as there should never be 2x hubs in standard mode connected, and see what happens.

• I can connect the DVR network cable out to a different hub/router that I can see the setup page for.  How do I 'tap into', say, port 1 on the router?
  • Thanks again
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You don't 'tap into' a network port, that is just at the Ethernet level. You need to access the IP address of the DVR. You can do that from anywhere within your LAN.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Fine, thank you.

The DVR manual says specify an IP address, IP port, gateway, subnet mask, and DHCP setup (which I think should be 'manual').

Then there's a DDNS setup page.

(Sorry, I don't really know the meaning of these different settings)

With these settings input, I'm connected to the Wifi, I get an app, such as 'IP camera viewer'? Or a different app for a DVR?

I then type in the IP address and the port I have just set, or is it a different setting?

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

The IP address of the DVR needs to be at outside of the range of the DHCP server in the hub. I.e between 192.168.1 .1 and 192.168.1.62, the port should be specified by the DVR application if it is a web browser it will be port 80. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.254

DDNS is used for when you access the DVR via the internet when away from home and is set on the hub. It is needed to track your public IP address which is a dynamic address.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks again for your help.
0 Ratings