cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
landonersfc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Help needed with poor Home Hub 5 (Infinity)

Hi everyone, new to here and need some help

I play my xbox one and struggle with moderate or sometimes strict NAT settings which drives me insane, after some research online i have found that many people don't rate the HH5 at all so am looking at getting a new router

I then realised that my HH5 I THINK is both my modem and my router simultaneously, correct me if i am wrong? I then found out that i cannot use the HH5 as modem only mode, so obviously need to look at a new modem as well as  new router then.

Do i need a BT modem connected to another router or can i use a third party modem and third party router? can i get a very cheap modem and hook it up to the new router i intend to buy?

sorry for all the questions, would really appreciate any help

I can't think of any details i have left out but if anybody has questions about my set up please ask, thankyou in advance

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
landonersfc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Help needed with poor Home Hub 5 (Infinity)

edited post becuase had links to third party website

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

You can go one of two ways, separate modem and router or combined VDSLmodem/router. If you go the separate route, your options for modems are fairly limited. Openreach modems are available from the well known auction site or there is the Draytek 130 which is quite expensive (£80ish) which you can then use with any router that has a WAN port. Alternatively there are quite a few combined VDSL modem/routers on the market starting at about £40 for the TP Link TD-W9970. If you want faster wireless you will need to pay a bit more for a fancier unit. All can be used on BT Infinity.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@landonersfc wrote:

Also just to add, if i did need an openreach modem would THIS ONE be the one that i need?

Yes, but you need to remove the links you have posted as it is against forum rules to post links to e-commerce sites.

0 Ratings
landonersfc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

It's purely personal choice, there are pros and cons for both options. The upstairs speed problem us probably due to poor wireless signal. Might be worth considering power line adapters to improve the signal upstairs.
0 Ratings
landonersfc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I've ordered an open reach modem and will order TP-LINK Archer C20i AC750 router, will see if this changes the speed upstairs (which ia mostly just as good)

Thank you
0 Ratings
landonersfc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Can anyone help, plugged in the open reach modem and my new router and connected and it is connected but showing no Internet?
0 Ratings