Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sammi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Home HUb 2 port forwarding problems

Go to solution

Well I'm just about at my wit's end.  I don't seem to be able to get a port open for connecting my icatcher software. I've had it up and running for a couple of years and I don't seem to be able to get an active update client hostname activated. If this makes any sense!! I have (Ithink) sorted a static ip address and followed all the instructions to port forward the application. Is there a known problem with the hub. Has something changed??? I'm about to give up so any advice would be greatly appreciated.Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Home HUb 2 port forwarding problems

Go to solution

There are no issues with home hub 2 port forwarding.

There is a worked example for a Windows VPN on this link, which you should be able to modify.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/winvpn.html

Also check the general page here.

Port forwarding problems

There is some CCTV examples here.

CCTV and IP cameras - port forwarding

0 Ratings
Sammi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I have tried everything but things are still the same. The port is not open. The application is a http server built in to the icatcher software I use to monitor my camera, if this makes any difference. If I point to my home 127.......things are fine. Although my dnsdyn people say my host name is active their update client says they are inactive. Everything is cleared through the firewall (BT Net Protect) Prior to using your info I set things up according to the Portforwarding web site and they suggested putting in two dns server numbers, but this didn't work either. I must be doing something wrongSmiley Frustrated

Best regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

You should be using the update client built into the home hub 2, so any firewall settings would not affect it.

You can check for updates here https://account.dyn.com/dns/dyndns/auxlanglog.html

The only time this would fail, if if you were on CG-NAT, as explained on my port forwarding page.

If you do use the home hub 2 Dynamic DNS settings, then if you look in the home hub event log, you will see if the host name has been updated correctly.

0 Ratings
Sammi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Yes that explains a lot as Dyndns people say the hostname is fine. It just says on their update client that the hostname is inactive. So that is what the jungo.com is? I had wondered.

So I don't need the dyndns update client.  Will my hostname registered with

them still work then?  Sorry for being a bit slow. Smiley Happy

Do I need to change any settings on the hub manager ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

If you are using the home hub 2 Dynamic DNS facility, then you do not need to use another update agent on your PC, as the one built into the home hub is much quicker at updating.

I seem to remember that jungo.com provide the code for the Dynamic DNS function of the HH2.

Provided that you have the correct settings entered into the home hub 2, it will update fine.

You can check that the IP address shown when you login to your DynDNS account, matches your public IP address as shown by http://whatismyipaddress.com/

What you will find however, is that you will not be able to access your camera from your own network, by using the external host address, as the home hub 2 does not support NAT Loopback.

If you use a mobile 3G network, or another Internet connection, it should work fine.

If you need help with this, then let me know.

0 Ratings
Sammi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

First of all ...many thanks for your patienceSmiley Happy

I've done everything but then I went into my firewall settings of BT Netprotect Plus

and the application (icatcher) has full access but there is a section about ports which I have never had

to enter into before but maybe this is the problem as I still don't seem to have an open port.

Do I need to actually enter the port number into this Port and System Services?

Also on the Portforwarding website where I went previously they suggested using different DNS server (name servers) addresses found on the hub manager.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

I would start off by disabling the firewall, and see if it works then. There is no real need for a firewall, as the home hub has one built in, and an extra one will just make things difficult.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

I assume that this is a USB webcam which is plugged into the USB port of your computer?

If its an IP camera that is connected via wireless or Ethernet, then any settings on your PC will not affect it.

If it is an IP camera, what make and model is it, and what is its IP address and port number?

0 Ratings
Sammi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

The camera is a Boxwatch camera with video/audio phono leads which then go through a capture card (was a usb external one until today. Have invested in an internal video capture card)The images are viewed through icatcher wildlife software which also has the http server. Thanks again I'll try without the firewall.

0 Ratings